Back to Blogs

4 professional qualifications to take your construction career to the next level

  • Publish Date: Posted about 1 year ago
  • Author: Rebekah Valero-Lee
​If you feel like your career progression is beginning to slow, it might be time to reinvigorate your credentials and gain a new qualification. Within the ever changing construction industry, keeping up-to-date with the latest innovations and regulations is essential to continued development, as is gaining the relevant construction qualifications necessary for your specialism. To give your CV an edge over your colleagues’, here are four professional qualifications to take your construction career to the next level.

1. Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) qualification
Who’s it for?

Any professional who’s looking to pursue a career in construction, building services, engineering, management of built assets or management in the built environment.

What is it?

A CIOB qualification is a recognised university degree or training course that requires a high level of professionalism and competency. The CIOB recognises a number of courses and training programmes, so you may already have the credentials to become a member.

Check to see if you already qualify for CIOB membership

To become a fully chartered member, you will need to complete a MCIOB structured programme which is a combination of both theoretical and practical study, followed by an exam. To start the programme, you’ll need to have met the academic requirements before you apply.

Is it worth it?

The CIOB is an internationally-recognised organisation which indicates to an employer that you are an employee of the highest calibre within your field. Specialising in management and leadership within construction, the institute boasts a Royal Charter with 45,000 members worldwide, and its qualifications can earn you an extra £152,000 throughout your working life.

2. Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE) Law and Contract Management qualification
Who’s it for?

Civil engineers who want to improve their understanding of contracts.

What is it?

The Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE) accredits various exams related to law and contracts. The ICE Law and Contract Exam covers topics such as contractual conditions, their legal framework and the management procedures you need to successfully complete projects. Split into three modules – a law module, NEC module and a higher ICC / NEC Contract Management Exam – each part has its own assessment.

The ICE also provide a number of training courses to help you pass the exams, so keep an eye out for when the details for these are released.

Is it worth it?

As civil engineers are increasingly having to deal with more issues around contracts, understanding how the law and practices work is essential. As well as making you a more attractive candidate to employers, if you’re working towards your Chartered Professional Review, passing the exam will help to develop your commercial awareness.

3. The Institution of Structural Engineers (MIStructE)
Who’s it for?

Ambitious structural engineers, especially beneficial for structural engineers who are looking to work abroad.

What is it?

A qualification recognised by employers that signifies your professional excellence, the MIStructE grants you Chartered Membership of the Institution of Structural Engineers.

To obtain the accolade, you’ll need to hold an Institution-accredited degree in civil or structural engineering, or hold an Institution-approved equivalent qualification; successfully complete the Institution’s Initial Professional Development (IPD); and attend and pass a Professional Review Interview (PRI) and the seven hour Chartered Membership examination.

There are also a few alternative routes to Chartered Membership, so make sure you take a look if you don’t think the above is applicable to you.

Is it worth it?

Becoming a qualified Chartered Member of the Institution of Structural Engineers is acknowledged by prospective employers as both a personal achievement and an indication of professional competence. Only the best structural engineers successfully meet the Institution’s exacting entry requirements, so obtaining the membership can catapult your career. Furthermore, having a MIStructE qualification automatically entitles the holder to register as a qualified structural engineer in a large number of countries, which is great if you’re interested in working abroad.

4. The Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation (CIHT) EngTech
Who’s it for?

Anyone who can demonstrate they have the required professional capabilities to UK-SPEC standards. This could either be technicians who have completed engineering apprenticeships, have recent qualifications and on-the-job training, or professionals who’ve been working in the industry for many years.

What is it?

The EngTech is a recognised qualification of quality for engineering technicians. First, you’ll have to complete an initial assessment which will determine what route you’ll need to take to gain the professional qualification. Once your pathway has been confirmed, you’ll need to put together your EngTech application along with the help of a mentor.

You’ll need copies of all your qualification certificates, your CPD record for the past 12 months and to fully complete the application form which needs to be signed off by a sponsor.

Is it worth it?

The EngTech qualification enhances your status amongst employers and colleagues, as well as working hand-in-hand with membership of the CIHT. This means you’ll have access to learning, networking and career development resources, not to mention providing you with a route to progress on to further qualifications such as Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and Chartered Engineer (CEng).

Looking to take the next step in your career at a different company? Browse our latest job listings to see what opportunities are out there for you.