22 days ago
Work Package Manager with defence/nuclear experience with the ability to directly successfully manage project teams (including the coaching of project managers) is required to be the person in overall charge of a specific work package/internal project (or number of projects) to ensure the successful delivery of the project (or projects).
The role also requires the ability to ensure effective liaison happens across a range of work packages to ensure that best practice is being applied and that project management capability strengths and weaknesses are identified and managed. This will involve providing coaching and direct support to less experienced and less capable project managers.
It requires professional project management capabilities (that are founded on significant experience of managing complex projects) to be applied - giving rigour to change control, commercial awareness and stakeholder management.
It requires the successful management of the relationship with internal and external key UK and international customers.
The role involves but is not limited to the following:
Undertake the activities that will ensure the successful delivery of projects. This will typically include (but is not limited to) the following:
- Deliver the milestones and performance metrics the projects, including order intake, sales, gross margin and cash.
- Management of a project team which will include Engineering and Operations team members.
- Creation of the initial Project Plan during the bid or "Demand" phase of the lifecycle through requirement capture, work definition, estimating and scheduling that will include all Milestones, activities, resources and any other feature that will require to be delivered.
- Support Project Governance (the Gate and Stage Processes) over the bid and project delivery activities to ensure project, technical, procurement and support processes are applied and are effective in controlling risks.
- Ensure all business planning and reporting is published in accordance with Business directives e.g. Project Management reviews (PMR), Business Operations Report (BOR) and On Time Delivery (OTD).
- Drive Quality, Cost & Delivery performance through close working with other functions.
- Manage all project stakeholders; ensuring strong communications are established and maintained.
- Ensure that members of the project team are actively managing Risk and Opportunities, and have a robust Project Management Plan.
- Ensure data integrity of all project information including financials and schedule. Use the Oracle and Primavera toolset to hold all financial, schedule and resource information.
- Ensure all Project activities undertaken comply with the relevant Thales Chorus processes.
- Ensure "Lessons Learned Management" is applied to all projects, entailing application of lessons from other projects, and capturing lessons learned on specific projects under your control.
Some or all of the following is required:
Excellent, professional project management skills.
Excellent negotiation skills with the ability to deal with customers, partners, suppliers and other parts of the business (stakeholder management skills).
Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills with written presentation and report writing skills.
Strong, organisational, managerial and team working skills.
Analytical skills aligned with the need to carry out detailed investigation of cost variance(s) and publishing of financial information directly into Company financial reports.
Commercial, financial and business acumen.
A positive attitude combined with excellent interpersonal and motivational skills.
An ability to successfully manage change.
The ability to adapt personal style of management and communication to achieve the desired results from interactions with team members and stakeholders.
A track record of delivering successful projects within the defence/nuclear industry.
Working in a multidisciplinary, multi-site organisation.
Understanding of generic processes and techniques used to schedule project activities (for example; WBS, OBS, milestones, dependencies, EVM).
Experience and understanding of the Project Management process (including Change Control, Risk Management and Information Management).
Experience and knowledge of the project life cycle for complex projects through delivery of Development, Implementation, Closure and Support activity.
Experience of working across boundaries, including knowledge of commercial management, best practice supply chain and finance functions.
IPMA Level D professional accreditation or equivalent Association for Project Management (APM) qualification.
Recognising the RESTRICTED nature of the work, suitable candidates will be SC cleared or eligible for this level of clearance.