Up to £11.29 per hour + Inclusive of holiday pay
about 1 month ago
Our client one of the UK's largest charities, who maintain 2,000 miles of historic canals, rivers, docks and reservoirs, are looking to recruit 3 Seasonal Waterway Operatives to be based in the Gloucester area. This will be a 7-month seasonal contract starting in March till the end of October.
The main duties of the role will be to join existing maintenance teams responsible for the upkeep and conservation of the Canal network in and around the Gloucester area.
The role is to be based in Gloucester but will cover the local area so the successful candidate must be flexible regarding working location and willing to travel.
In addition, the successful candidate will be in regular contact with users of the canal network so excellent Customer Service skills are required.
The role will be 4 days on, 2 days off including weekend work typically based on 11 hours days.
- Assisting lock keepers with lock keeping at busy times, covering gaps in the rota where required. Training will be provided for lock keeping and an internal assessment will be carried when the successful candidate is ready for this.
- General vegetation maintenance including but not limited to;
cutting the grass around the lock flight using a power-driven lawn mower, training will be given for the use of the mower.
- Strimming grass using powered strimmer.
- Trimming hedges by hand using hand tools.
- Edging grass using hand tools
Painting of locks, bridges fencing and signs
- Fencing, signs and posts, small towpath repairs
- General safety checks of the Destination
- Litter picking
- Emptying bins
- Mopping the floor in the customer service facilities
- Meeting and greeting visitors in the Welcome station and engaging them with the work of the charity
- Assisting with and leading activities such as Let's Paint and Let's Pond dip.
A full driving license is required for the position.