Verification and Validation Systems Engineer
Reading - 12 month contract - Pay rate £420.75 p/d Ltd Co (can work Outside IR35)
We are looking to recruit a V&V Systems Engineer to work for our client on a complex military air traffic management (ATM) project. You will be working within the radar/sensors team. The project is based from Reading, where you will spend up to 2 days per week in the office. The role will require travel to other clients sites for testing activity and where possible can also work from home.
Purpose of the Role:
- Responsible for Systems Verification and Validation Engineering activities to ensure conformance to the requirements and whether the system satisfies its intended use and user / customer needs.
- Responsible for the successful creation and development of test documentation (e.g. Test Plans, Specifications, Scripts, Reports) associated to various test phases (including OIT, SAT, EV) during the product design and test lifecycle.
- Support the acceptance and review of supplier test documentation (including witnessing supplier test activities) to ensure the delivered systems satisfies all requirements whilst maintaining project milestones.
- Support the Verification and Validation of specific projects being delivered as part of the Marshall Asset Provision Contract whilst ensuring that the V&V activities are completed to project milestones.
- Perform V&V testing at various test phases (including supplier FAT, supplier SAT, OIT, SAT, EV) during the product test lifecycle.
- The role will involve liaising with both suppliers and MoD Customers and may require travel within the UK and overseas.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Responsible for the preparation and delivery of test documentation, including Test Plans, Test Specifications, Test Reports and other associated test documentation for the integration of new or upgraded systems into the MoD infrastructure whilst ensuring they meet the relevant functional and safety requirements.
- Manage the acceptance of supplier test documentation. Review supplier test documentation (including witnessing supplier test activities) to ensure the delivered systems satisfies all requirements whilst maintaining project milestones.
- Conduct and report on testing at required test phases (e.g. SSAT, OIT, SAT, EV, etc.) for one or more Technical Services
- Provide input to the VCRM generation, agreeing requirements are verifiable, complete and have traceability. Support the maintenance of the VCRM in conjunction with the Requirements Team.
- Monitor and continuously assess current test practices and procedures and implement improvements and cost optimisation activities in consultation with the ITEA Manager.
- Lead test review activities (TRR, TRM, etc.) and contribute to the project phase and engineering reviews.
- Reporting the status of V&V activities and the occurrence of any major events that may impact project objectives. Contribute to WP Reports and Metrics.
- Proven ability of testing ATM systems or safety related systems
- System Requirements Management
- Test assurance with real time safety critical systems
- Proven ability of integration testing and multi-systems testing
- Knowledge of engineering lifecycles and other established engineering practices.
- Good understanding of the principles of testing and demonstrated skill in judging the appropriate level of testing.
- Good understanding of the production of test documentation to a high standard within agreed project timescales.
- Background of working on MoD programmes
- Highly motivated and able to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing
- Ability to work on a diverse range of projects often to tight time scales.
- Strong analytical and communication skills, coupled with the ability to rapidly assimilate knowledge
- Knowledge of Observation/Problem reporting and management
- Significant ability of Test Management within real time safety critical systems.
- Good background knowledge of one or more the following threads, e.g. Radar Data Processing, Flight Data Processing, Air Navigation systems, Electronic Surveillance, and Voice Communications.
- Ability to work unsupervised, managing the implementation of the test programme for the project.
- IBM Rational DOORS
- Risk based testing
- Basic Project Management
- Knowledge of Network Engineering
- Security Testing
Please note, due to the sensitive nature of the project all candidates must be capable of gaining a UK MOD Security Clearance to SC standard. You will be able to start on a baseline clearance while any new SC application is pending.
Flexibility is a requirement of the role and you will on occasion be required to work non-standard hours.
This role has been assessed as Outside IR35 by the end client, there will be a second IR35 assessment at week 6, with the contractors input, to take account of specific working practices.