Birmingham, West Midlands
Up to £35.00 per hour + Negotiable
4 months ago
Morson International have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Tooling Engineer to join a leading Aerospace Manufacturer on a 12-month contract at their Kings Norton office. This site specialises in the development & manufacture of specialist toughened glass for civil and military aircraft applications, so the role is ideally suited to someone with a background in tooling production for the Aerospace industry.
Please see below for details:
Pay Rate: £35.00 LTD per Hour (Negotiable)
Duration: 12 Months
Location: Kings Norton, Birmingham
As a Tooling Engineer, you will be working in a key role as part of the Projects team supporting the transfer of aircraft programs from the Kings Norton site to a new low-cost manufacturing site. The Tooling Engineer is responsible for scoping, specifying, designing and creating a CAD representation for all tooling associated with the transfer.
* Perform manufacturing engineering work related to configuring, deploying, maintaining and upgrading CAD models.
* Review and understand the existing tooling.
* Confirm technical and tooling requirements for the new location.
* Draft specifications and tooling scopes based around technical and manufacturing requirements (e.g. max monthly production rate etc.).
* Shortlisting potential suppliers and validating proposed specifications.
* Where applicable, cooperate with maintenance personnel during tooling installation and validation.
* Interact with vendors and suppliers and consider critical path lines to stay on schedule.
* Creating a tooling methodology (Inc. maintenance plan) and database for the new location.
* Interfacing with TC Holders for control, validation and creation of customer owned tooling.
* Design, develop and engineer high quality models using 3D and 2D CAD tools leading to NC or CAM packages.
* Produce designs that meet targets for feasibility, performance, costs, quality, safety, legislation and timing.
* Ensure that all work carried out complies with company design, safety, quality, environmental compliance and procedural standards.
* Update and maintain product design files.
Required Skills & Experience:
* Experience of TC Holder tooling audits and tooling control quality systems.
* IT skills and experience using computer-aided design software such as Catia V5 and AlphaCAD/Cam or equivalents with reference to model-based definition.
* Attention to detail to create accurate and detailed drawings and check other colleagues work for accuracy and quality.
* Familiarity with EASA Part 21-G, EASA Part 145 and FAA FAR 145 Regulatory approvals.
* Strong background within a manufacturing environment or equivalent Aerospace/Automotive.
* Working knowledge of aerospace product development and associated manufacturing processes.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to work in a cross-functional team environment.
* Extremely detail-oriented.
* Great troubleshooting skills.
* Excellent organisation and time-management.
* Ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously.
* Mathematical skills to complete calculations and estimates.
* Spatial and design skills to be able to visualise projects in 2D and 3D.
* Engineering or Manufacturing Related Degree or equivalent years of experience.
ADDITIONAL SECURITY INFORMATION: We seek a Tooling Engineer who has ideally worked in an Aerospace or Defence environment within the last 12 months, or who is capable of obtaining Baseline Security Clearance (BPSS).