£28.00 - £30.00 per hour
22 days ago
3 - 6 Months
Our Bristol based client has a requirement for a Technology Manufacturing Engineer to undertake the below contract role.
The development and implementation of intelligent automated systems is essential to meet the increased rate and high quality demands of the aerospace sector. The Client is targeting ambitious and visionary individuals who can quickly see the potential of emerging technologies in the context of aircraft assembly.
The target candidate should be inspired by the prospect of applying technology into existing factories in order to reduce costs, improve quality, increase capacity or to do something new. With these overall goals a fundamental understanding of aircraft structures, materials and processes is required. The ideal candidate would have an ability to quickly understand both the benefits and challenges likely to be faced in a development or implementation context.
The role has 3 fundamental aspects:
1) To identify and develop ideas for improving aircraft assembly in the context of existing process and product requirements.
a. Understand assembly and manufacturing processes, and the complexity of related challenges.
b. Recognize and conceive opportunities for technology introduction and process improvement
c. Understand the typical causes of quality issues in today's assembly processes
d. Build a strong relationship with the Operational Manufacturing Engineers
2) To develop assembly processes and value streams, working with Automation Engineers
a. Propose and mature new process routings which incorporate new technologies
b. Use simulation (typically Discrete Event Simulation) to both propose and optimise process flow
3) To feedback to the design function ideas to improve future designs for manufacture
a. Propose design improvements to eliminate productivity or quality concerns
b. Evaluate the financial benefit of each new concept
* Remain up to date with respect to the challenges and complexities found within current operations and with existing and newly proposed aircraft designs
* Understand product design trends and drivers in order to both foresee the limitations and opportunities presented by improved and increased levels of automation
* Assess value streams and requirements of existing sites and interpret these to develop proposals for appropriate technology development focus
* Generate and support internal and external communications to inform the business of projects and progress, and promote awareness of the team's capabilities.
* Work closely with operations to use technology to reduce or eliminate historic non-conformance issues.
Qualifications and Skills:
* Degree-qualified (or equivalently experienced) engineer.
* Background knowledge of a diverse range of processes, tooling philosophies, inspection, assembly techniques and automation. Detailed knowledge in one or more areas is required.
* Background knowledge of aircraft component manufacture and assembly processes.
* A logical approach to problem-solving, and use of the appropriate tools.
* Understands and has used tools such as Design of Experiments, Value Stream Maps and FMEAs.
* Capability to interrogate CAD models in CATIA.
* Excellent technical writing skills.
* Experience in simulation methods such as DES or kinematic simulation.
* Programming experience of PLCs and/or computer programming.