£25.00 - £30.00 per hour
24 days ago
Our Luton site sits within the Aerospace Group and is a world leader in the production of transparencies and ice protection systems for both civil and military markets. Our customer's trust us to deliver the critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full coaching, guidance and mentoring.
We are currently looking for a Manufacturing Technologist to join our Engineering & Technology Department. You will be based in the New Product Development team and work closely with the Technology Team to industrialise their latest technology. The role will involve research, development, and installation of manufacturing processes to support the industrialisation of the latest aircraft components.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Selecting and developing manufacturing processes to support cost effective production with high quality.
- Evaluating manufacturing processes against technical requirements.
- Manufacturing and testing prototype products
- Creating and carrying out test plans to evaluate process capability.
- Modelling industrial processes.
- Preparing technical reports - internal and external.
- Acting as the contact for key suppliers and sub-contractors, developing mutually beneficial relationships.
- Specifying and evaluating manufacturing equipment.
- Designing and setting up pilot manufacturing capability
- Be compliant with the Company's Environmental, Health & Safety and Energy procedures.
- Any other reasonable duties
We are looking for someone to be an integral part of the team, but also a self-starter with the drive to develop their skills further. Someone willing to question why, continuously improve, and stretch out of their comfort zone while helping to create the next generation of aerospace components.
Experience and knowledge of any of the following would be seen as beneficial:
- Degree-qualified or suitably experienced engineer
- A background knowledge of a diverse range of fabrication/processing, tooling, inspection, assembly and automation techniques. Detailed knowledge in composite processing (both thermoset and thermoplastic) and at least one other area is required.
- Knowledge and experience of a shop floor production environment would be an advantage.
- A general understanding of the whole manufacturing chain, from materials through to design, manufacture and testing.
- Organised and methodical - has the ability to plan, monitor and control projects to schedule and budget.
- A logical approach to problem-solving & excellent technical writing skills.
- Experience of working within an APQP framework or applying Lean and 6 sigma tools is desirable.
- Knowledge of and understanding of Industry 4.0 / data science principles with experience in the application of analytic tools would be beneficial.