Crawley, West Sussex
Up to £55.00 per hour
6 months ago
Systems/Software Safety Engineer
Contract 3 Months
Pay rate: £55.00 Ltd per hour
As a System/Software Safety Engineer in Flight Avionics, you will have the opportunity to be part of a team focused on the development and delivery of products and programmes to a wide variety of customers in the aerospace sector; covering both the Civil and Military domains. This could include:-
* Supporting the delivery of our innovative Air to Ground Solution for aircraft, which provides vastly improved internet access for airline passengers
* The development of our next generation Control Display Navigation Unit for military helicopter platforms
* Supporting one of the several studies we are undertaking for the Integrated Module Communications (IMC) programme, to shape the future of aircraft communication systems
In this role you will provide Safety Engineering Expertise lead to programmes, including being the principal point of contact to the programme for all Safety related matters, including interfacing directly with customers and their appointed Independent Safety Environmental Auditor (ISEA) & Independent Technical Evaluator (ITE), Thales suppliers and support consultants.
* Providing System and Software safety support and advice to other disciplines within the organisation
* Responsible for managing the Safety Work Package
* Ensuring that safety requirements are assessed and that the evidence demonstrates that the requirements have been met
* Delivery of Safety inputs at the required level of quality within the timescales and budget agreed for the programme
* Responsible to QA for ensuring that the system complies with all legal and legislative safety requirements
* The role will also involve direct interaction with the Thales Regulatory Compliance Office
* Production of safety-related documentation in line with Thales processes, including System or Equipment Safety Cases, to support delivery and use of equipment containing software/firmware, including evidence of compliance to standards such as Def Stan 00-55, 00-56, DO-254 and DO-178B/C, CS 25.1309, AMC 25.1309 and ARP4761. etc.
* Liaise with suppliers, in acceptable approaches to meeting the allocated requirements (e.g. Def Stan 00-56, including read-across from US Standards (Mil Std, RTCA-DO, etc)).
* Review and approve documentation delivered by suppliers of software including: Software Safety Management Plans, Software Development Plans, Version Description Documents, evidence of test cases/procedures and results at all levels, Safety analysis and safety cases.
* Supporting Independent Safety Environmental Auditor, Independent Technical Evaluator, and customer activities including working groups, audits and assessments.
* Support suppliers of safety related software as point of contact, organisation of Programme/Product Safety Committees, development phase reviews and conduct of testing to ensure project safety requirements will be delivered.
* Review airworthiness certification documentation relating to equipment containing software/firmware.
* Support bid work for potential future programmes including estimation of time and cost and input to the technical solution proposal
* Attendance and completion of safety related courses to further best practise of the function
* An understanding of System Engineering and System Engineering Processes and Practices, including knowledge of Systems Lifecycles
* PC Literate: Windows, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio
* Domain knowledge covering; an awareness of how avionic systems interrelate and interconnect, a basic understanding of aircraft environmental requirements, and knowledge of operator aspects of avionic systems are useful but not essential
* Proven ability of software design, implementation and testing (including static and dynamic analysis). Preferred software language experience of C and C++ in MS Windows and VxWorks environments.
* Proven ability of firmware development environments such as VHDL desirable but not essential.
* Proven ability or knowledge of tools such as LDRA, SCADE
* Proven ability of assessment and audit of product compliance to development processes, procedures and requirements is desirable.
* Proven ability of performing, or having involvement with, hazard analysis techniques such as Functional Failure Analysis (FFA), Functional Hazard Analysis (FHA), System Safety Assessment (SSA), Failure Modes and Effects Analysis is desirable (FMEA).
* Knowledge of safety related standards such as Def Stan 00-55, 00-56, DO-178B/C and DO-254, CS 25.1309, AMC 25.1309 and ARP4761.etc.
* Knowledge of hazard logs, safety cases and safety arguments including the use of Goal Structured Notation
* Knowledge of software architectural tactics and patterns desirable but not essential.
WE SEEK A SYSTEMS/SOFTWARE SAFETY ENGINEER WHO HAS WORKED IN A MILITARY/DEFENCE ENVIRONMENT/INDUSTRY WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS OR WHO IS CAPABLE OF OBTAINING SECURITY CLEARANCE (SC LEVEL MINIMUM)