Up to £44.50 per annum
4 months ago
Role Summary / Purpose of Job:
Falcon is a deployable communications infrastructure currently in service with the Army and the RAF. The programme provides a wide ranging Contractor Logistics Support service as well as multiple development and procurement Post Design Service (PDS) tasks to enhance and extend the current functionality. In addition, the team participate in numerous bid activities for additional tasks, as well as the next phases of both the support and future development contracts. In short, Falcon is a very active programme with a wide variety of engineering activities to be involved in.
As a Systems Engineer you will report to the Project Engineering Manager and Project Design Authority as applicable. Your responsibilities will include estimation of development activities, design of technical solutions, implementation or subcontract of proposed solutions and the testing involved in verifying them. You will also be required to help in diagnosing and solving customer reported issues.
This will involve hands-on integration and test activity with the wide variety of equipment and technology used on the project, including mobile and deployed networking, enterprise computing and bespoke software development.
As part of the development team you will be expected to work closely with your team members, as well as providing support to other teams such as business winning, development, test, and support teams. You may also be required to support and advise Junior Engineers as directed by the Engineering Manager or Design Authority.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing Systems Engineering support to business development activities, including study/experimentation activities, system de-risking activities
- Development and implementation of technical solutions that meet the customer requirements
- Provision of realistic estimates for specified activities to the development lead
- Accurately report on progress
- Complete work to a high standard and to scope, quality and budget
- Support System Integration Activities
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
A strong Systems engineering background
A good understanding of the complete systems engineering lifecycle (e.g. requirements, design, specification, implementation, integration and testing, acceptance), and development tools (e.g. Requirements Management, Modelling and defect reporting systems)
Willingness to adapt to the variety of engineering tasks within the project and enthusiasm to extend own knowledge to support this
Experience of providing engineering input and support to business development activities would be an advantage
A background in Communications, (voice, data and radio products) is highly desirable.
Demonstrable knowledge or experience in some or all of the following would be especially desirable, in particular their applications in a military context:
- Communications technologies: IP networking (including network design), VOIP, Point-to-Point radio links, 4G mobile technologies, network security, network management
- Software Operating Systems (Windows Server, Linux, VM Environments)
- A good understanding of designing equipment to meet stringent environmental requirements such as EMC, Environmental etc. would be advantageous
- Understanding of Design Certification and Product Safety Processes
- Familiarity with Export control and ITAR rules and regulations would be desirable
- Good team working;
- Willingness to adapt to the variety of engineering tasks within the project and enthusiasm to extend own knowledge to support this;
- Excellent innovation and problem solving skills;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Must be flexible and be prepared to work outside of normal office hours (if required) and occasional off site working.