£450.00 - £500.00 per day
18 days ago
Scope of Role:
This role based either at Stevenage or Hawthorn will form part of the Systems Engineering team. This team are responsible for the provision of support to project delivery, installation of services across all Airbus Defence and Space owned sites and at customer sites (as applicable), support for the provision of Network Management Systems and Fault Management System infrastructure implementation. This role also provides service design and implementation advice to the support teams. The Systems Engineer will typically engage at the preparation for CDR stage of the project. Travel is expected to the Ground Station installations on a frequent basis. As part of the role there will also be a requirement to travel to customer installations overseas.
Typical activities will include:
- Liaison with customer, SDA and project manager to capture all user and system requirements in order to define the service requirements specification.
- Create full system design extrapolating from PDR design documents, including the creation of system concept model (if applicable) and all relevant documentation.
- Implement & test the service (including provision of oversight for installation activities). Systems engineers are expected to support installation at any of our customer's sites. As a result overseas travel is to be expected.
- Development and ownership of Design documentation required for CDR and FsDR, including detailed design document, dialling plans etc.
- Liaising with relevant Network Management Service teams to produce a suitable fault management solution, and or billing solutions as appropriate.
- Lead the VV&T stage of the project coordinating support from other groups as necessary
- Provide support for the service transition into operations, from FsDR to Phase 6, ensuring that suitable handovers are provided to relevant operational staff.
- Supporting Incident Management escalations providing diagnosis and recommendations.
Within the boundaries of the assigned Project Scope the role holder will be expected to work under own initiative and drive to successful delivery of all engineering inputs to the Project cycle.
They will be expected to be able to handle multiple projects and be prepared to rationalise their time and work with the Project Managers to optimise their efforts to project and individual priorities.
The role holder will be an accomplished engineer who will act with confidence and authority.
- Must have demonstrable knowledge of, IP, VOIP and MPLS systems.
- IP competent to professional level
- Knowledge of satellite communications systems.
- Knowledge and use of encryption devices including DCAP, Mini Catapan and Ectocrypt.
- Knowledge of serial communication protocols.
- Knowledge of test methods for the above mentioned technologies.
- Good report writing and general communication skills.
- Must be analytical and able to diagnose and recommend problem resolution.
As the Technical prime of the assigned project you will be expected to advise and guide the project team with the minimum of reference to management. You will be expected to review and analyse the high level design and service requirements such that the engineering and implementation are efficiently carried out, and so that you can operate with a high level of autonomy. During implementation you may be working remotely and will be expected to cope with the dynamics of the customer environment. This may introduce variation to the systems requirements and you will be expected to be able to balance the customer environment with the objectives of the project and the integrity of the engineered solution.
- Engineering degree or equivalent
The role holder will be expected to have been in the telecoms or satellite communications industries for 5 to 10 years, depending on relevance of roles.
It is expected that the role holder will have had most if not all of the following experience.
- Satcomms Systems Engineer, including Crypto's - 2 years
- Design Engineer - data and voice systems - 2 years
- Implementation Engineer including data, voice circuits and serial communications protocols - 2 years
- IP network design implementation at professional level - 2 years