Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
£40 - £46 per hour
3 months ago
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Working in a team environment in an Optronics Engineering team, the role requires the engineer to define and implement System Engineering tasks.
Developing a sophisticated Imagery Exploitation and Management System to a number of customers to work in conjunction with data captured from aircraft sensor systems for analysis and presentation.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
The job holder will work as part of a team in a project environment, operating as the System Engineer on development programmes.
The job holder will be responsible for planning their work, managing, writing and verifying technical requirements, producing technical reports and specifications, performing systems analyses, meeting milestones and working as part of a team to deliver successful programmes.
The applicant will be working in conjunction with the System Engineering Manager in a multi-discipline teams. Tasks to include
- Performing system engineering tasks through the project lifecycle.
- Working within the scope of the Company's Processes and the System Engineering Management Plan producing / managing the production of other supporting plans for specific engineering activities.
- Estimating Engineering activities.
Main duties within a programme environment comprise:
- Requirements definition using DOORS. Manage technical requirements flow-down and verification/validation/sell-off of requirements to satisfaction of customer.
- Generating and reporting systems engineering metrics
- System Testing including the writing and executing the formal Design Proving/Acceptance Testing and Unit Testing
- Definition of COTS items for procurement
- Agile software development (desirable) for role as Product Owner
- Have a solid understanding of product safety and designing safety into systems.
- Management of safety aspects of the design in conjunction with Safety Engineering lead.
- Work Package Management - working within the engineering team to accomplish engineering activities to time, budget and quality.
- Working closely with the System Engineering Manager to ensure that activities are scheduled in accordance with programme schedule needs.
- Write Engineering Plans, Technical Specifications, interface Documents and Technical Reports
- To exhibit good team-working skills, able to delegate & motivate effectively, sharing information
- Ensuring that processes, methods and tools are appropriate for the activities to be performed
- To ensure that design certification for contract requirements and appropriate legislation, including product safety, is performed correctly.
- To support engineering reviews and prepare associated technical documentation.
- Travel to support overseas customers for system integration, validation activities and customer technical support.
SKILLS / PROVEN ABILITY
- Systems Engineering ability
- Ability with Electro-Optics / Infra-Red imagery processing and integration with mapping systems - desirable.
- Ability with synthetic aperture RADAR - desirable
- Knowledge of working in an Agile development - desirable
- Requirements engineering using a tool such as IBM DOORS (Vs 9.6 or later)
- Microsoft Office 2010 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio)
- Knowledge working in a military and/or civil aviation environment
- An understanding of REACH, RoHS and WEEE legislation and initiatives
- An understanding of EMC in design and test.
- An understanding of the fundamentals of Systems Engineering methodologies around Design, Development, Verification, Validation, Qualification and Acceptance
- Able to represent and interpret system architectures in diagrammatic form (e.g. Flow charts, functional diagrams, state diagrams, etc.)
- Designing for performance and survivability at in extreme environmental conditions (MIL SPEC, DEF STAN)
Features of the job
Primarily, the role will be based at Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk but there may be a requirement to visit and work on installations based in other countries.