Cheadle, Manchester (predominantly work from home) - 4 month duration - Pay rate £51.43 p/h Umbrella or £37.61 PAYE basic (£42.15 p/h including holiday pay)
We are looking to recruit a Systems Engineer for our defence client working on sonar systems and underwater technology. You will be able to work predominantly from home but must be accessible to Manchester should you be required on site.
The team carries out Systems Engineering activities covering the full lifecycle for complex defence programmes. A vacancy has arisen for a Systems Engineer to support the Maritime Mission Systems business. This is an exciting opportunity in an area of the business currently undergoing rapid and sustained growth, both in domestic and export areas.
Responsibilities and Tasks
The list below is not exhaustive nor will individuals be expected to be able to undertake all of them. They are given as a guide for the expected duties of the role and grade:
- System definition activities - requirements definition, functional and physical definitions.
- Preparation and presentation of system level design reviews.
- Monitoring of emerging detailed design within various implementation teams - acoustic, hardware, mechanical, software etc.
- IVVQ planning and execution, including platform trials from time-to-time.
- Requirements sell-off and contract acceptance with customer.
- Customer and end-user liaison.
- Analysis of system performance.
- Alignment of Product vs Project - Contribute to business strategy and product development as required.
- Sound understanding of the development lifecycle and lifecycle products.
- Proven ability with relevant systems engineering design and development tasks in the defence industry.
- Proven track record of articulating / defining system design, i.e. production of design definition such as SSDD, ICD.
- Proven track record of working closely with the customer and their stakeholders, including the end-user.
- Strong analytical abilities with a methodical approach.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate technical issues to team members, Design Authorities and varying levels of senior management.
- Is a self-starter, capable of working on own initiative with a high level of integrity.
- Well organized individual; ability to plan & schedule activities (and produce associated plans).
- Team player who can interface at various levels within engineering and manufacturing company, represent the company to outside government and customer organisations, and who can operate successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
- DOORS practitioner.
- An ability to quickly assimilate and utilise a knowledge of the technical and market environment and apply this to the commercial requirements of the business.
- Sensor-based system domain experience (from sensor, to (signal and data) processing, to operator), e.g. Radar, Sonar.
- Knowledge of maritime domain operations and/or products.
- Sonar knowledge and factors affecting performance.
- Knowledge of acoustic design and/or performance in underwater environment.
- Knowledge of elecro-mechanical systems, e.g. winches.
- Platform installation, integration and acceptance.
- Experience of Design for Manufacture.
- Knowledge of Safety Integrity Levels.
- Good understanding of discipline Engineering Standards, processes and maturity models.
Please note, due to the sensitive nature of the project involved all candidate must be sole UK nationals, you must be capable of gaining a UK MOD Security Clearance to SC level, but can start under a baseline check.
This role has been deemed Inside IR35.