£30.00 - £44 per hour
4 months ago
Systems Engineer with Data Science
* The role involves working within a research and technology project team developing wireless technology to support aircraft maintenance tasks for landing gear systems.
Individual is expected to seek, scope and drive new technological breakthroughs that can contribute and shape the future of Landing Gear Systems and Aircraft.
This position offers the opportunity to develop multidisciplinary skills by working on the following subjects:
LG structure architecture
LG equipment development
LG system architecture and design
Overall aircraft design
Loads & Performance
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Extension & Retraction
Braking, Steering & Control
Modelling & Simulation
Project is related to a wireless Tyre Pressure Indication System. It enables an automatic transmission of the tyre pressure data to an electronic unit that runs a bespoke Application, allowing a simplified tyre pressure check. The target is retrofit only for the Single Aisle fleet.
On its own, system is only digitisation of the manual gauge. It is a proposal for a new research project to use the data that becomes available for new functions that has reached TRL2 status.
What you will be doing:
* Refine and freeze system algorithms with available data (simulated test cases, dyno tests, qualification tests, flight tests, etc.)
* Confirm performance of the predictions made by the system
* Validate system algorithms against available data
* Perform an initial assessment on the location of the system
* Develop a preliminary working prototype (APP) of the system
* Identify FHA lines that might be affected by the system and propose solutions
* Conduct an initial Technology Valuation Assessment (TEVA) and a service potential analysis of the system
* Conduct a preliminary study to determine the impact of the system on airline operations
* Identify route to certification including buy-in by necessary stakeholders (Wheel-Tyre-Brake, DCS, Human Factors)
* Perform landscape search to identify potential intellectual property issues
Knowledge in both systems engineering and data science is preferred but candidates may alternatively have a strong knowledge in one area and a willingness to diversify.
Familiarity with aerospace systems and specifically landing gear systems is preferred but not essential.
Understanding of Matlab-Simulink / algorithms & Data analytic and BigData skills
Understanding of Safety Process,
Awareness of Wheel-Tire design, testing and maintenance
Understanding Aircraft Maintenance Practices and associated documentation
Ability to use AI/ machine learning techniques and tool sets
Due to the sensitive nature of the product all applicants must have worked within the Defence industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining a UK MOD Security Clearance (SC level minimum).