£35.00 - £42.00 per hour
2 months ago
Senior Engineer - System Custodian Power - Approx 6 Months - Pay £35.00 - £42.00 Ltd per hour
For their relevant Systems or Structures, the primary purpose of the post is to capture, collate and communicate In-Service Submarine engineering Risks, Issues and Opportunities to Design Services and Project Management (DSPM) stakeholders as well as the wider support Enterprise.
In order to achieve this, the post holder must maintain a comprehensive understanding of their respective Systems or Structures, including a working knowledge of upcoming Engineering Challenges as well as known Engineering Issues.
Engineering Challenges: The Through Life Management Framework (TLMF) project shall support the post holder in understanding the Engineering Challenges associated to future Support Projects. Applying their knowledge of Design Authority (DA) policies and requirements, the role will provide specialist analysis of the TLMF Through Life Boat Plans (TLBPs) in order to identify future Support Project Risks and Opportunities. The post holder shall generate and record meaningful TLBP Recommendations to address these Challenges for approval by the DSPM community.
Engineering Issues: The post holder shall maintain a live 'Technical Network' of key stakeholders across the In-Service Submarine support enterprise. Exploiting this Technical Network and a close working relationship with their respective DA, the post holder shall identify System or Structural Issues with regards to Design Changes, Significant Maintenance, Concessions, Safety Hazards and Defects. From this, the post holder shall be able to highlight known Risks, Issues and Opportunities; identifying and developing Business opportunities where agreed with their respective Manager. Where appropriate and as directed by the post holder's Manager, the post holder shall also support delivery of Maritime Support Delivery Framework (MSDF) Outputs. For DS Recommendations, the post holder shall provide 'Cat&Class' supervision; reviewing, conducting or coaching Cat&Class such that any DS Recommendations are appropriately authorised with regards to technical risk.
Where appropriate and required, given the unique positioning of the role and its exposure to the aforementioned Risks, Issues and Opportunities, the post holder shall also provide some 'Reactive Support' to their respective DA, DSPM and the broader Babcock organisation. This may include providing Informal Advice at urgent meetings or providing ad hoc support to urgent tasking.
Where this Reactive Support results in a DA or Babcock Design Query (Design Question, Issue or Project), the post holder shall first agree their resource commitment and approach with the relevant discipline Manager for DA Design Queries and Head of Department for Babcock Design Queries; ensuring that their Line Manager is informed of new Queries.
Principal Tasks and Responsibilities
- Deliver TLMF Project outputs in accordance with the Project schedule.
- Competently operate and manipulate the 'TLBP Tool' in support of generating TLBP Engineering Intelligence.
- Capture, collate and communicate engineering Risks, Issues and Opportunities associated with upcoming Engineering Challenges.
- Maintain a comprehensive 'Technical Network' of key stakeholders across the In-Service Submarine support enterprise.
- Capture, collate and communicate engineering Risks, Issues and Opportunities associated with known Engineering Failings.
- Identify improvement or business opportunities across the enterprise for DSPM intervention.
- Support delivery of MSDF Outputs where directed.
- Supervise the Cat & Class process for their respective disciplines.
- Provide Reactive Support to their respective DA and/or Babcock where appropriate.
- Undertake Design Queries (Questions, Issues or Projects) as directed by the appropriate Manager (MoD tasking) or Head of Department (Babcock tasking).
- Provide a record of key System Custodian actions in the System Custodian Achievements Log.
- Support the generation of Indicative Programme Schedules (IPS) by the Advance Planning Team.
- Be able to demonstrate operating, commissioning or other relevant submarine proven ability (not SC Structures; who shall be able to demonstrate experience of submarine design change management, material state management, hull surveillance techniques, structural degradation and defect rectification).
- Shall have extensive proven ability and knowledge in the delivery of In-service Submarine Support (including structure, stakeholders, operations, working practices etc) with an understanding/proven ability of Project Management.
- Should be capable of working professionally and objectively in support of the Senior Management within DSPM teams.
- The post holder will require the ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external staff at all levels within the Submarine enterprise, including Senior Management/Directors; including written technical reports and briefs.
- Capable in the use of appropriate Project Management & IT tools (especially MS Project and Excel).