Up to £45 per hour
2 months ago
Duration: Until 31st March 2019
Rate: Up to £45 per hour LTD
Our client- as Whole Boat Support Integrator (WBSI) - is responsible for the in-service support aspects of the Programme, which are to manage the key aspects of the support structures to enable the ballistic submarine to dock with the in-service systems. This will ensure that the transition risk at post exit-Barrow is adequately managed. Looking ahead to operating the ballistic submarines, the MOD's principal industrial participant for delivering submarine support is, for the first time, involved directly in the submarine design and build process. Our clients role throughout the Programme is to champion the in-service perspective, providing first-hand experience from supporting current submarines, and advising on the through life implications and supportability aspects of design and procurement options. This will further ensure that the factors critical to in-service are managed to ensure success.
The Whole Boat Support Integrator (WBSI) is responsible for assessing the ballistic submarines design for its Supportability characteristics that are made up of three core principles; safe, available and affordable. These principles are assessed by Supportability Engineering that is underpinned by Integrated Logistic Support (ILS) methodologies to not only analyse the supportability of the design, but also in the development of the Support Solution. ILS is the management and technical process through which supportability and logistics support are integrated into the design of a system or equipment and taken into account through its life cycle e.g. maintenance planning (level of repair analysis, maintenance task analysis), supporting the supply chain, configuration, documentation, training, packaging, testing and evaluation. It is the WBSI's responsibility to develop a support solution that will demonstrably satisfy the requirements for safety, availability, and affordability.
The successful candidate's purpose will be to apply engineering domain knowledge competently to provide technical solutions in the delivery of products and services while developing domain knowledge, experience and leadership skills.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Exercise care for own health and safety and that of others as defined by Health and Safety legislation, adhere to endorsed Company policy, procedures and delegations (e.g. Health & Safety, Diversity & Inclusion, Performance & Development Reviews and Finance etc.)
- Ensure procedures, codes and standards are correctly identified and applied to engineering and technical activities
- Ensure task and project risks are communicated appropriately
- Contribute to Product Safety Assessment process
- Provide a technical interface with internal and external stakeholders at a detailed level
- Carry out technical investigations and analysis to provide data for problem assessment/resolution and for design of improvements
- Contribute to process improvement within the operational and/or design lifecycle to deliver continuous improvements in quality, cycle time and asset utilisation
- Apply engineering domain knowledge to produce technical solutions and documentation in support of assigned task and project
- Ensure appropriate review, verification and approval is undertaken
- Plan, deliver and monitor assigned tasks and projects, ensuring requirements are delivered to time, quality and cost
- Keep up to date in relevant technical areas and develop skills and capabilities to be able to provide effective delivery
- Participate in bid preparation to facilitate the development of successful bids
- Provide help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective working, and their development
- May act as Technical Authority or Engineering Lead when authorised to do so by Chief Engineer or delegated authority
Proven Ability / Key Skills
- Competent, knowledgeable and skilled engineer who understands the concepts and principles in a generalist subject area; designs, develops or contributes to determination of solutions to problems and issues in a generalist subject area
- Able to work on a range of engineering problems involving some complexity
- Typically works independently and under occasional supervision, can refer to others or seek guidance for more unusual or complex problems and situations
- This position requires engineering degree qualification with demonstrable relevant proven ability and capability OR HND/HNC in relevant discipline with demonstrable relevant proven ability and capability OR OND/ONC minimum with demonstrable proven ability and capability, successfully completed a period of structured development and is working towards meeting the registration requirements of the Engineering Council at IEng or CEng level.
Due to the sensitive nature of the product all applicants must have worked within the Defence / Military industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining Security Clearance (SC level minimum).