£32.00 - £35.00 per hour
8 days ago
Please load candidates on the Marine Cover Sheet
Based in Devonport Royal Dockyard
Baseline clearance required before candidate can start.
Help us to create the naval base and dockyard of the future, supporting the Royal Navy's current surface and submarine fleets and ready to receive the next generation of naval platforms. We are looking for senior civil, electrical and mechanical engineers who are confident at designing complex, high-value assets and projects.
Western Europe's largest naval base
For more than three hundred years, engineers have been shaping the dockyard to ensure it supports the fleet and protects the nation. We need you to help continue this tradition, transforming, sustaining and improving Devonport to meet the demands of the Royal Navy for the next hundred years.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme, including Astute and Dreadnought class.
Role Profile - Structural Engineer/Naval Architect
Structural Engineer/Naval Architect is responsible for substantiating designs through calculations, producing technical reports and providing technical support. They are required to contribute to multi-discipline design projects and lead structural/naval architecture design projects.
The role requires demonstrable experience in structural engineering on vessels/marine platforms, demonstrable experience of using Finite Element (FEA) Analysis, demonstrable experience of using 2D & 3D CAD packages, experience with working with production teams as well as good written and verbal communication skills.
* Preparation and production of structural substantiation reports for solutions during the entire design lifecycle.
* Liaise with design team and other stakeholders throughout the design lifecycle to ensure coordination and functionality of design, including supporting design reviews.
* Develop innovative design solutions.
* Assisting in the resolution of technical queries.
* Be aware of and ensure that, health, safety and environmental requirements are implemented.
Knowledge, Experience and Skill
* Structural Engineer or Naval Architect with extensive practical experience of working within a structural engineering/naval architecture role.
* Either a Chartered Engineer or working towards it, holding membership of an appropriate professional institution.
* Able to utilise FEA and CAD packages.
* It's preferable for the candidate to have or previously had SC security clearance.
* It's preferable that the candidate has a degree in Engineering.
Security Clearance Required