Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
£40 - £50 per hour
4 months ago
A role has arisen at our client's Bury St. Edmunds site for a Software Engineering Manager / Work Package Manager. The role is part of a cross-site development between their Bury St. Edmunds, Glasgow and Reading sites.
As the Work Package Manager, you will operate within an Agile framework, delivering estimates and updates on cost vs. progress and ensuring that software development work is sequenced correctly.
As the Software Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for the completion of all software development activities during the project lifecycle, ensuring the required timescales, quality standards and productivity measures are achieved.
Work Package Manager:
- Prepare work packages based on bid estimates and defined Scope Of Work (SOW) using top-down and bottom up estimates
- Define, coordinate and plan work package activities ensuring they are correctly resourced at all times
- Monitor work package Key Performance Indicators (KPI) to ensure cost, schedule and quality is maintained at all times against agreed standards
- Maintain Supply (forward load) information for the Software function
- Conduct regular reporting on work package progress to Bid Manager / Project Manager/ Software Discipline Manager as appropriate
- Identify and manage schedule/planning risks/issues associated with the software engineering activities and escalate as appropriate
- Manage the work package against the defined SOW, actively manage any variance re-estimating as necessary
- Regularly organise communication meetings within the team to keep them informed of developments on the project and to maintain motivation and engagement
- Support internal monthly WP reviews focused on performance v earned value
- Support functional process reviews looking at general performance against WP (historical view)
Software Engineering Manager:
- Ensure timely delivery and quality of system level artefacts such as requirements, architecture and standards required to enable efficient delivery of software. Where system requirements or scope are unclear, proactively work with the project management community and the client organisation to ensure that scope and requirements are unambiguous, well-formed and in line with the contract.
- Participate in the definition of the architecture and the allocation of functions, to the components for which they have primary responsibility working closely with the Software Architect
- Collects and analyses defect reports.
- Ensure strong relationships with design and test teams exist to ensure that the handover from design to software development is efficient and that testing activities follow on cleanly from the development cycle.
- Coordinate and lead the resolution of project technical issues, drawing on technical expertise within the project or across the wider software team.
- Must have proven leadership and management skills
- Experience of working within an Agile framework
- Can develop a software design through a defined process such as CHORUS 2 to meet project needs
- Proven experience in working within multi-disciplinary teams to design and estimate technical software solutions
- Has a sound ability use of software design tools to manage software designs
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels to clients, peers, developers
- A strong record of on-budget, on-time delivery