Up to £46.75 per hour
4 months ago
Software Engineering Manager Job Specification
Duration: 6 Months Initially
Primary Purpose of Job
This job role has two clearly identifiable purposes: Software Engineering Manager and Work Package Management.
As the Software Engineering Manager you will be responsible for the completion of all software development activities during the project lifecycle, ensuring the required timescales, quality standards and productivity measures are achieved. The role must identify the required skills and allocate team roles and manage the regular delivery of software components from the team. The role must also provide support to the project across the full range of activities on the project, including customer liaison, architecture design, requirements management, engineering lifecycle management, change control and integration and verification activities.
- Provides technical expertise and leadership support as key member of the Software Discipline.
- Performs engineering activities required to integrate and verify a solution/product.
- Ensures system-software consistency. This includes refinement of software components and compliance with the software architecture. Ensures the correct contribution of software components to the systems integration & verification/configuration and change management activities.
For Work Package Management, you will manage, coordinate and monitor the internal teams performing a work package, work with the Bid Manager/Project Manager and the Functional Manager for all aspects relating to the work package. The role also ensures compliance with commitments relating to the work package activities (including those relating to risks and opportunities) to reach and in accordance with programme plans and objectives of the bid/project regarding its technical, schedule, and financial aspects.
- Can develop a software design through a defined process (such as CHORUS 2) to meet project needs
- Proven ability in working within multi-disciplinary teams to design and estimate technical software solutions
- Has a sound ability use of software design tools to manage software designs
- Understands the configuration control processes
- Proven ability with requirements tracing from design through to development and test
- Strong appreciation of Safety and Safety Assurance within the Engineering discipline and Domain.
- Strong knowledge and proven application of Engineering Project Delivery and processes across the full project lifecycle with cognisance of commercial acumen
- Good standard of technical writing skills and first class presentation skills
- Organisational awareness, including customer and stakeholder management (internal & external) and negotiation
- Ability to work within multidisciplinary teams under pressure
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels to clients, peers, developers
- A strong record of on-budget, on-time delivery
- Proven ability in Configuration Management and Change Control, Requirements Management, Risk Management, Estimating, Peer Reviews
- Will have demonstrated a high degree of technical expertise, problem solving skills, innovation and commitment
- Customer-focused, acting as an ambassador with the client
- Proven ability in software lifecycles, system engineering, formal testing, and verification & validation
- Ability to mentor and support peers and less experienced in development
- Proven ability in ISO 9001, and the SEI CMM and/or CMMi
- Good understanding of current trends in software engineering development techniques and technologies
- Proven ability managing and driving continuous improvement processes
- Jira / Subversion knowledge.
Additional Security Information
Due to the sensitive nature of the product, all applicants must have worked in the defence industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining a UK MoD Security Clearance (SC level minimum).