Our client is seeking Software Engineers to develop in both C/C++ and Java.
This is on a 6 month initial contract duration.
Based in Bristol, Working from home will be possible, but on-site being at least 2 days a week.
The role is within a team of approx. 30 high calibre SW engineers working on Mission planning products for UK and overseas customers. Products are legacy applications that are being updated with new technologies to provide enhanced capabilities. A number of programmes are in development at different points in the development lifecycle and an opportunity exists to deploy skills across different programmes as needed.
- A Software Engineer capable of design, development and test for software based Defence applications.
- The development languages will be C/C++ and Java.
- The Target Operating systems are Windows and Linux and are typically client-server applications.
- A background in Mission Planning Systems and/or Geographical Information Systems would be ideal, but is not essential.
- Primary emphasis of this role is SW development
- There may be occasional need to work travel nationally or internationally.
Proven ability / Skills required:
- Design, development and test for software based Defence applications, in C/C++ and Java.
- A knowledge of Web services applications and legacy techniques such as CORBA and X-motif would be advantageous but not essential.
- It would be advantageous for the applicant to have worked within a team based development organisation rather than as an individual developer and a working knowledge in system configuration and hardware and software installation would be ideal.
- Information security would be useful included methods locking down operating systems and deployment in a Windows and Linux environment.
- IDEs used include Eclipse and NetBeans for legacy applications.
- DOORS, Rhapsody and the Rational Team Concert configuration management system are used and a working knowledge of these tools is desirable.
- An adaptable approach and ability to context switch between multiple software projects at various stages of the software development lifecycle.
- The ability to see through the 'smoke' and focus on the prime task without distraction is essential.