£40 - £45 per hour
29 days ago
SOFTWARE ENGINEER FOR PRECISION GUIDANCE
Duration: 6 Months
Rate: Negotiable Hourly Rate
The primary role involves the inception and development of embedded software for a range of Precision Guidance products, which typically include functions such as:
- Control and non-uniformity correction of electro-optic imaging sensors
- Dynamic feedback control systems for electro-optic sightline steering mechanisms
- Dynamic feedback control systems for ancillary subsystems such as thermal reference devices, miniature actuation mechanisms etc
- Image processing to acquire and track objects of interest, often within complex and dynamic scenes
- System management and interfacing with other key avionic subsystems
- High integrity built-in test
- Data fusion between intrinsic or extrinsic data
Particular project opportunities at this time include definition and development of an evaluation imaging sensor system requiring a plug and play method of hosting existing and future algorithms; maturation and development of a prototype missile seeker to undergo a real-world trial as part of a UK MoD Technology Demonstration Programme; and full development of a replacement forward-looking infrared avionic equipment for Ground Attack aircraft.
This will involve:-
- Contributing to the high-level requirements capture and concept design in order to enable the requirements applicable to software to be well-derived. In some cases this may involve direct liaison with system customers to elicit requirements and drive this process.
- Definition and authoring of software development plans, balancing the needs of a given project with appropriate company and external processes.
- Thorough and accurate estimation based on appropriate sub work breakdown structures, scheduling and assumptions in addition to the known technical requirements.
- Authoring and review of software requirement specifications.
- Development of software through both classical and model-driven processes, typically combining these approaches appropriately.
- In all cases work closely as part of multi-functional integrated project teams, both as a lone software engineer or as part of a software sub-team.
- Generation of software test plans and specifications.
- Support to module and system-level integration, execution of testing and analysis of test recordings and results.
- Support to real-world integration and trials where applicable.
Core skills required:
- Good interpersonal skills and behaviours
- Thorough understanding of embedded software development
- Proven capability in developing successful software solutions using a range of languages andtoolsets
- Essential: C / C++
- Desirable: Java, Python, Delphi
- Some familiarity with image based acquisition and tracking
- Familiarity with software development via model-driven engineering, including detailed knowledge of auto-coding from Matlab and Simulink
- Proven practitioner with standard Microsoft Office tools
Familiarity with the following auxiliary tools is desirable:
- Configuration control using Dimensions and Teamcenter
- Desktop Linux familiarity
Additional Security Information:
Due to the sensitive nature of the product, all applicants must be eligible for UK MoD security clearance to SC level.