Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
£38000.00 - £43000.00 per annum + Benefits
6 months ago
Morson International has entered in to a partnership with a telecommunications company to attract the best talent for projects up and down the UK. Our client is an alternative provider of wholesale fibre network infrastructure. They are experiencing rapid growth and we are now looking for a Smallworld PNI Support Engineer - Milton Keynes
* Acting as first line support for issues raised by the users of the system.
* Monitoring the key components of the system to ensure that application servers are running smoothly with no network, memory or disk capacity issues.
* Monitoring of the database server to ensure that it is operating efficiently and being backed up every day.
* Assist with the implementation of a disaster recovery system. Run quarterly tests to ensure that the DR procedures work and that we can cut over to the DR system in a reasonable amount of time.
* Scripting of repetitive tasks in magik, batch files, scripts etc.
* Occasional training / demonstration of new features.
* Creation of specs and templates.
* Investigation and hopefully resolution of conflicts
* Assisting the developers with testing and rolling out applications.
* Logging and tracking tickets in JIRA.
* This role is as a member of the Systems (IT) Team reporting to the Head of Systems and Development.
* The GIS is used by our GIS Team, which is concentrated in Warrington, and managed by our GIS Manager. It is also used by a number of departments including: Operations, Network Planning and our emergency response team.
* The candidate would need to be articulate and willing to liaise with people from all of these groups
Knowledge & Experience
* 2 years acting as a support engineer for a GIS built on the Smallworld platform.
* Understanding of the major components of a Smallworld system e.g. database server, job server etc,
* Some programming skills e.g. simple procedures in magik or scripting language.
* Good knowledge of Physical Network Inventory.
* Ability to interpret tracebacks and do initial investigation.
* Experience of creating specs and templates.
* Knowledge of Design Manager
* Knowledge of GSS/NIG or Network Viewer
* Knowledge of JIRA
* Experience in support under both windows and Unix operating systems
* Educated to degree level (or equivalent)
* 2 years of supporting Smallworld systems
Please contact Matthew Owen at Morson International for further information