Long Eaton, Derbyshire
Up to £18.28 per hour + Negotiable dependant on experience
5 months ago
3 months plus
Our client a charity helping millions of people feel happier and healthier by spending more time on and along our canals and rivers currently have an opportunity for a Construction Site Supervisor to be based in Long Eaton, covering the Leicester area for an initial 3 month contract with a review to be extended.
In this role you will provide excellence in the visitor experience for the Trust through the effective planning and delivery of a programme of maintenance and repair works to protect and enhance the reputation of the network as a valued national asset and the provision of customer service.
You will also care and ensure that health & safety and welfare issues are communicated effectively and promoted within your area of responsibility, understanding your responsibilities for and fulfilling your duties in accordance with the Trusts policies and procedures.
The site supervisor manages and organises work for the team, ensuring team members have the right materials and equipment to carry out their role and facilitate the efficient working of the team and ensure the safe delivery of work programmes.
- Line manage a small team of site operatives, providing daily onsite supervision of staff.
- Lead and develop individuals to ensure that the appropriate skills and competencies are maintained to deliver the objectives of the team, working with volunteers to expand the capabilities of the team.
- Responsible for the delivery of works to budget through the proactive management and recording of costs.
- Responsible for efficient and effective procurement and use of plant, equipment and materials to reduce costs.
- Responsible for the achievement of or improvement to the planned production target.
- Responsible for the team delivering works free of defects and to the specified quality.
- Act as Temporary Works Supervisor.
- Where reactive works are required, identify and deliver solutions with appropriate support where necessary.
- Manage the day to day work plans of Heritage Trainees and/or Apprentices providing mentoring and support.
- Work with volunteers and ensure that they are able to contribute effectively on site.
- Ensure that appropriate support and feedback is provided on a day to day basis. Contribute to open days.
- Liaise with contractors and work in partnership as required. Provide feedback on any service issues and best practice. Produce SIPS as required.
- Ensure that the Trust's and hired equipment and PPE is utilised correctly and serviced according to agreed standards. Ensure that yards, workshops and work sites are maintained.
- Assist Supervisor with appropriate administration tasks. Provide information for weekly cost reports, assist with the ordering of materials and complete other reports when required
- Comply with the Trust's Health & Safety policy and defined standards. Investigate and report incidents, accidents and near misses.
- Ensure safe use of appropriate equipment, prepare Risk Assessments and Method Statements ensuring contents are understood and acted upon.
- Lead by example, ensure your team take responsibility for the safety of colleagues, volunteers, themselves and customers.
- Recognised qualification - e.g. NVQ Level 3 or City & Guilds or Completed Apprenticeship in a particular craft e.g. bricklaying, joinery, plant operation, mechanical or electrical.
- Temporary Works Supervisor Training for construction activities.
- Attainment of or willingness to work toward a recognised safety qualification or proven safety related experience
- Full driving licence
- Relevant valid (or willingness to work to work toward) CAATS competency for use of plant/tools and equipment to maintain the canal/river environment