Simulation and Modelling Engineer
Location: Bristol or Stevenage (Full time on site, a 4 day condensed week is available)
Duration: 12 Months
Rate: up to £65 P/h Umbrella
SC Required before start
Overview of department:
A sub-contractor opportunity has arisen for an experienced Simulation and Modelling Engineer to work within a dynamic team working on a fast-moving and challenging project. Simulation and Modelling is central to the design and development of the client’s complex guided weapon systems products. Models are developed for many purposes throughout the lifecycle of the product, and these are at the core of the System Engineering process:
- Models to support initial feasibility and concept proving studies.
- Models to support design development and trade-off studies.
- Models to support ground testing including Hardware in the Loop testing.
- Models to support trials programmes, including trials predictions used as part of the fit-to-fire decision and post-trials analysis for detailed trials evaluation.
- Full system reference models used to produce formal performance statements to support the certificate of design and design verification processes for the guided weapon system.
The Simulation and Modelling team is responsible for the development of these models.
As directed by the Team Leader, you will be responsible for the development of specific aspects of the performance model used to support a key programme. You will also be responsible for integration of components from within the team and from other project areas. You will be responsible for their design, implementation, test, reviews and supporting documentation as well as maintaining appropriate design records, ensuring compliance with appropriate quality standards. Within the scope of your defined tasks, you will interact autonomously with the other functional teams e.g. Guidance Navigation & Control, Software, Hardware-in-the-Loop, Systems Design & Validation and Technical Quality. You will perform technical analyses and investigations into a full range of issues and problems and prepare and develop solutions either individually or as a member of a project team. You will engage with the model users, understand and respond to their needs and ensure that the model is fit for its intended use.
Key Skillset required:
- A proven track record in the following:
- Simulation and Modelling - preferably on Aerospace projects.
- The MathWorks products – specifically Simulink, Embedded MATLAB and Stateflow.
- Ability to produce a computer simulation (/Simulink model) from a mathematical specification.
- A good understanding of the modelling process and working within a quality process. Ideally you will have knowledge and experience of the following:
- Rational Team Concert (or similar Configuration and Management Tools).
- DOORS (or similar Requirement Management Tools).
- C, FORTRAN or Ada.
Additional: Due to the sensitive nature of the product all applicants must have worked within the Defence / Military industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining Security Clearance (SC level minimum).