Up to £0.00 per annum
20 days ago
Overview of project/role
The work relating to this role includes the development of signal schemes primarily focused on modelling, simulation, design, audit and network impact assessment to achieve the objectives of the Mayors Transport Strategy, using one or more skillsets within traffic modelling.
The role holder will also provide technical knowledge and development of modelling packages to enhance the Operational Modelling and Visualisation team capability to ensure alignment with TfLs strategic aims. The role holder will be responsible for planning and supervising modelling projects, including the management of external consultants involved in modelling work on behalf of TfL.
In relation to the assessment and optimisation of transport schemes in London, the role holder will provide specialist technical and analytical transport modelling guidance to clients, consultants, sponsors, highway authorities, designers and internal staff on issues covering highway traffic assignment, demand, deterministic, pedestrian, environmental and microsimulation models.
Specialist knowledge of one or more of VISUM, VISSIM, AIMSUN
In support of TfL's Network Management Duty, and through the use of advanced modelling techniques, provide detailed network impact assessments of schemes for the TfL Traffic Manager's Network Performance Delivery (NPD) team.
Following detailed multi-modal network modelling, support NPD to devise and implement signal timings in order to ensure the efficient operation of the road network in accordance with policy objectives set out in the Mayor's Transport Strategy.
In relation to the assessment and optimisation of transport schemes in London, provide specialist transport modelling advice and support to clients, consultants, sponsors, highway authorities, designers and internal staff on issues covering highway traffic assignment (HTA), demand, deterministic, pedestrian, environmental and microsimulation modelling.
Develop, audit and enhance the design of schemes through the use of transport modelling software including Aimsun, Junctions, Legion, LinSig, SATURN, TRANSYT, Vissim and Visum.
Support the development of strategic and tactical modelling capability through demand and traffic assignment methodologies, techniques and applications.
Organise and supervise transport assessment studies in relation to traffic control strategies, transport modelling applications and the development of innovative transport modelling techniques.
Evaluate new versions of transport modelling software to assess their suitability for use by NPD and engage with software suppliers to further develop features and functionality required by NPD.
Contribute to transport modelling best practice through development of quality assurance processes, procedures and documentation including TfLs Modelling Guidelines and Model Auditing Process documents.
Develop and deliver training to internal staff and consultants on relevant transport modelling software, tools and techniques as required by NPD.
Support the review, design, implementation and optimisation of UTC and local signal control strategies by NPD, including SCOOT/Fixed Time signal timings, Selective Vehicle Detection (SVD) bus priority, System Activated Strategy Selection (SASS) and local signal control strategies such as Vehicle Actuation (VA/MOVA)
Coach and supervise less experienced team members (e.g. graduate's) or consultants during transport modelling activities & projects as required by the Lead Transport Modeller
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
* Very good numeracy with an ability to analyse engineering data.
* Good keyboard skills and proficiency with MS Office WORD and EXCEL.
* Good oral and written communication skills with the ability to impart knowledge to others.
* Willingness to work outside normal office hours including occasional weekend and night times.
* Possession of a full and current, driving licence with the willingness to drive a TfL fleet vehicle.
* Successful completion of training programme, graduate or HNC in relevant discipline or substantial relevant practical experience in traffic modelling, scheme design and traffic engineering
* Awareness and understanding of Urban Traffic Control and local control techniques including SCOOT, Bus Priority, VA and other advanced signal control techniques
* Considerable expertise in the practical application of TRANSYT, LinSig and other detailed signal design tools.
* Good working knowledge, experience and understanding of relevant modelling tools such as Aimsun, Junctions, Legion, LinSig, SATURN, TRANSYT, Vissim and Visum
* Relevant practical experience or specialist training in traffic modelling, scheme design and traffic engineering
* Experience of the integration of micro-simulation with SCOOT (online) is desirable.
* Experience and ability to write professional and concise reports of a technical nature to various audiences.
* Experience of delivering presentations and proficiency with MS PowerPo