ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK develop, supply and support cutting-edge maritime technology for customers worldwide. Based in Winfrith Newburgh, Dorset, they work closely with the UK Royal Navy and global customers to create products which protect lives at sea.
Due to continued success we are currently looking to recruit a Senior Signal Processing Engineer to join the business at a very exciting time.
Purpose of job
To develop, implement and integrate sonar signal processing algorithms and software as part of sonar research and new system development.
As an experienced signal processing engineer / scientist, this role will play an important part in successfully delivering AEUK's sonar projects. Projects will cover the full engineering life cycle, from novel research and demonstration, through to productisation.
The successful applicant will have knowledge of signal processing principles and the aptitude to apply this experience to the sonar domain.
Key accountabilities include, but not limited to:
- Technical lead for sonar signal processing development and research projects
- Task management, working with project managers to ensure technical outputs are delivered to time, cost and quality
- Working with System Design Authorities, Product Managers and Project Managers to identify solutions and deliver to programme
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required:
- Experience in the development of sensor signal processing, image analysis and automated detection algorithms and software
- Experience of sensor data analysis and performance evaluation
- Proficient in relevant software and software development environments (for example, Matlab, Python, C, C++)
- Educated to degree level or equivalent or higher in physics, mathematics, engineering or similar discipline
- An aptitude for problem solving
- An ability to work within and/or lead a project team
- Proven communication & written skills - an ability communicate technical findings and concepts to a range of expert and non-expert stakeholders including team, management and customers.
Knowledge of sonar principles, underwater acoustics or maritime defence
- Applying innovation to propose and deliver technical solutions to design and research challenges
- Working collaboratively with specialists from a variety of disciplines
- Working with stakeholder from across the business to support development and delivery of customer solutions
- Communicating technical findings and concepts to a range of expert and non-expert stakeholders within AEUK and the customer community
- Assimilating output from technical analysis to form clear and coherent advice to inform stakeholder and key decision makers
- Providing technical leadership on multi-disciplinary research projects
- Actively supporting the professional development of junior staff members
- Highly self-motivated, innovative thinker, with determination to succeed
- Thorough and conscientious
- Flexible and adaptable
- Keen and quick to obtain, develop, extend and apply skills and knowledge
- Identifies opportunities and understands how expertise can be more widely applied