14 days ago
Morson International are currently working with a key client in the Nuclear sector who has a current requirement for a Contract Senior Safety in Design Engineer, to be based at their headquarters in Brockworth, Gloucestershire. This 6 month (initial offering), attracts an excellent rate for the right candidate.
The purpose of this post is to make a key contribution in supporting the Head of Balance of Plant overseeing health and safety in design activities, as part of the Company's duties to fulfil the role of CDM Co-ordinator and Designer for the design, construction, maintenance and decommissioning of new build nuclear power stations.
- Support the Head of Balance of Plant, as a core member of the Design Authority Team, in the delivery of business plan related targets and undertake specific roles within the the Company Management System when so required.
- Support Discipline with day-to-day technical leadership and management to develop, implement and configure solutions within field(s) of competence with due cognisance and appropriate recording of interfaces.
- Lead review activities for high significance design changes (i.e. Category 1 or 2 Design Changes) providing a recommendation to the Decision Panel as to whether to accept or reject the change.
- Review the conventional safety significance of all design changes reporting any categorisation or process-related discrepancies to the Decision Panel.
- Lead the review of Major concessions providing a recommendation to the appropriate DA Head of Section as to whether to grant or reject the concession.
- Intelligent Customer and Topic Lead for discipline.
- Facilitate designer's Hazard identification / review workshops in UK and overseas, including Japan.
- Facilitate design review meetings in UK and overseas, including Japan.
- Provide advice regarding how best to comply with the Company procedures for documents including CDM Hazard Log, drawings, reports and design option evaluations.
- Produce reports including pre-construction information.
- Support the Head of Balance of Plant in advising and assisting the Client with their duties, coordination, cooperation, communication, preparation of pre-construction information reports and health and safety files.
- Guide designers appointed by the Company and / or Hitachi General Electric Nuclear Energy, both in the UK and overseas, regarding health and safety in design activities.
- Work collaboratively with designers in relation to capture of hazard information, mitigation of hazardous activity and communication of significant residual hazards.
- Provide advice to the Company's Technical Operational Unit to ensure health and safety aspects of design documents are adequately reviewed.
- Provide advice and information regarding application of CDM Regulations and the Company Procedures to internal and external stakeholders.
- Implement and comply with HMS and where appropriate critically evaluate providing feedback for any improvement.
- Provide oversight and verification of work carried out.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND TRAINING
- Degree or appropriate academic qualification (HNC, HND etc.) in a relevant engineering subject.
- Chartered professional, or corporate membership of a relevant professional body/institution.
- Demonstrates a track record of success, achievement and learning in a career to date, adding value within relevant positions.
- Registered Member of the Association for Project Safety (RMaPS).
- NEBOSH Construction Certificate or higher.
- Demonstrable qualifications and/ or significant experience in health & safety in design and / or coordination of infrastructure, buildings and / or plant, equipment, engineering systems.
- Extensive experience in the construction industry in either a design, construction or maintenance position.
- Ability to communicate effectively and to build productive and collaborative relationships with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders of all levels.
- Evidence of using judgement and initiative to benefit business and individual performance.
- Effective communication, organisational, interpersonal skills with experience of facilitating workshops and meetings.
- Ability to learn, adapt and thrive, delivering value in a changing and evolving organisation.
- Consistently demonstrates behaviours aligned to The Company values: safety, courage, integrity, collaboration and inspiration.
- Flexibility and mobility to undertake business travel as required.
- Safety in Design.