Birmingham, West Midlands
£53000.00 - £67000.00 per annum
Rail Technical Team
27 days ago
As a Senior Rolling Stock Engineer, you will manage and deliver the engineering elements of the high-speed passenger train fleet delivery programme, including integration of trains into the wider railway system, in order to ensure that quality rolling stock is delivered on time through an efficient, robust process, contributing to the success of the overall project.
This role is within the Rolling Stock Engineering team, part of the Chief Engineer's group which, in turn, is part of the Operations and Infrastructure Management Directorate (OIMD). In the context of this role, OIMD is accountable for the end-state railway specification and for assuring its delivery through the programme.
The Rolling Stock Engineering team is responsible for developing the requirements for the new fleets, for ensuring that the fleets deliver the operational concept and the customer service proposition, and for managing the integration of the fleets with the project and conventional rail networks.
Please note: the location of the position could be either London or Birmingham depending on the preference of the successful candidate.
About the role:
* Provide, from a rolling stock perspective, strategic direction within the business to ensure successful programme outcomes and integration of the rolling stock with the wider system/programme
* Develop and contribute to development of the system strategies and policies which will deliver the railway capability, while mitigating the environmental impacts, within the programme and budget
* Provide leadership of specialist and consultancy resource
* Commission and oversee the delivery of studies to enable robust system design decision making
* Develop and validate the requirements for the rolling stock, carry out evaluation of rolling stock tenders, support negotiations leading to award of rolling stock supply and maintenance contracts and depot design & build contracts
* Engage with external stakeholders (including the train manufacturer, client, train operator, Network Rail, approval bodies, rail user groups) throughout the procurement and delivery of the fleet to ensure stakeholder needs are understood and managed to successful conclusion
* Provide overall programme assurance for the rolling stock, following a systems engineering approach as appropriate to a major, complex engineering programme.
Specialist knowledge in multiple areas of rolling stock and railway integration relevant to Rolling Stock and Depots project, with the following being of particular relevance:
o Train infrastructure compatibility
o Operational concept and functional integration
o Signalling systems
o Train interior design, including Industrial design and human factors
o Maintenance and servicing, including knowledge of train maintenance regimes
Able to develop robust, traceable technical requirements to facilitate successful execution of engineering contracts
Able to use best practice systems engineering principles and tools to facilitate the integration of the railway system and management of its interfaces
Influencing and negotiation skills: able to develop relationships, engage and negotiate with senior professionals, stakeholders and external groups
Skills for the commissioning of work packages: able to prepare clear remits for the specification of external work
Evaluation skills: able to critically evaluate technical justifications and plans
Degree qualified in relevant engineering subject, ideally a chartered engineer
Test strategies and the design of test procedures