ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK develop, supply and support cutting-edge maritime technology for customers worldwide. Based in Winfrith Newburgh, Dorset, they work closely with the UK Royal Navy and global customers to create products which protect lives at sea.
Due to continued success we are currently looking to recruit a Senior Research Scientist - Signatures to support and lead R&D programmes within the field of naval platform signatures.
- Understanding the sources, propagation and detection mechanisms of a naval platform's acoustic and non-acoustic signature are key to realising the platforms vulnerability to attack.
- The AEUK Signatures team undertakes research and development within this domain to support national and international customers.
- Experienced scientists are required to join the team, providing support to, and to lead, research and development programmes covering topics including:
- Signal processing, image analysis, automated detection processing
- Statistical modelling, data science, machine learning and data visualisation
- Modelling signatures of naval platforms
- Naval platform design aspects
- Numerical simulation of complex phenomena and computational fluid dynamics
- Remote sensing and numerical simulation of ocean processes
- Laboratory experiments
The successful applicant would be expected to have experience within at least one of these domains and an ability to lead research projects crossing them all. Applicants are expected to be dynamic, innovative, resourceful, committed and have a track record of successfully planning, coordinating and delivering research programmes.
AEUK's platform signatures research programmes are varied in scope and discipline so we are considering applicants with a variety of skills. An ability to adapt to evolving needs is highly
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required:
- PhD/Degree level physics, mathematics, or related degree
- Demonstrated expertise in one or more of the areas listed above
- Use of scientific computational software such as Matlab or Python
- No specific knowledge of the maritime defence domain required
- Working collaboratively with specialists from a variety of disciplines
- Working with stakeholder from across the business to support development and delivery of
- customer solutions
- Communicating technical findings and concepts to a range of expert and non-expert
- stakeholders within AEUK and the customer community
- Assimilating output from technical analysis to form clear and coherent advice to inform
- stakeholder and key decision makers
- Providing technical leadership on multi-disciplinary research projects
- Actively supporting the professional development of junior staff members accountabilities
- Highly self-motivated, innovative thinker, with determination to succeed
- Thorough and conscientious
- Flexible and adaptable
- Keen and quick to obtain, develop, extend and apply skills and knowledge
- Identifies opportunities and understands how expertise can be more widely applied
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a market leading business who can offer the opportunity to work on varied and interesting projects with genuine long term career opportunities.