Washington, Tyne and Wear
about 1 year ago
Working for an IPT Leader, the Senior Portfolio Manager is responsible for the management and execution of a number of complex or strategic projects associated with a large portfolio of products across all phases of their lifecycle.
Aligned to the one of the key product groups within Heavy Munitions the role will be the accountable person for delivery of the complex projects being executed for that portfolio of products, these will include a combination of from Customer or Internally funded development programmes, Process / Capability improvement programmes, delivery of product, providing a Post Design Service to the customer base.
The Senior Portfolio Manager will have excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with all levels and disciplines. You will have the ability to demonstrate an understanding of the wider aspects of the business and implications of problems and issues and a flexible attitude towards achieving business objectives.
They will develop and manage projects to achieve on time delivery of product or milestones, within cost and budget to the agreed quality standard. Through the development of effective relationships across functions, sites, internal and external stakeholders, they will play a leading role in the swift and effective resolution of project issues. They will have the ability to contribute to and influence strategy of key stakeholder groups and will be the principle interface between functional stakeholders. They will be responsible for the development of bids and proposals to support current customers follow on orders, and where appropriate will support in the development and execution of product strategies to support business growth.
Working within the IPT's 'one team' mentality, they will establish the priority setting/balancing of a Multi-Functional team on a daily/weekly basis. The Senior Portfolio Manager working with functional colleagues will be responsible for the management of resources and work packages ensuring that competent people are available to satisfy project requirements whilst maintaining effective resource utilisation.
The Senior Portfolio Manager at times maybe asked to support/deputise for IPT Leader, and cover areas of absence. Where the level of tasking justifies, the Senior Portfolio Manager will be supported by either additional Portfolio Managers or Project Professionals to execute a number of specific tasks/work packages on their behalf. When this is the case, the Senior Portfolio Manager will ensure that they demonstrate the correct leadership behaviours and support the development of the Project Professionals.
- Provide professional Project Management across a number of projects within a portfolio of Heavy Munitions Products.
- Take responsibility for delivery of the projects included within their portfolio.
- Identify and develop follow on business opportunities related to their portfolio of products.
- Financially plan and achieve acceptable business financial objectives for orders, sales, gross margin and cash.
- Monitor and report project/programme performance for schedule, technical, financial and quality objectives.
- Responsible for ensuring that accurate forward load data is derived for projects from the business toolsets.
- Establish & maintain strong customer/supplier relationships maintaining regular communications & managing expectations.
- Take responsibility for achieving customer satisfaction.
- Proactively manage risks and opportunities to the benefit of the projects.
- Oversee the development, establishment and continuous improvement and tailoring of procedures and guidelines for operation of the project/programme, ensuring adherence to the Operational Framework and LCM mandates.
- Evaluate the performance of subordinates using appropriate objectives and ensuring continuous coaching to enhance their capability (where appropriate)
- Pro-actively engage with the talent management process.
- The role can be based at Glascoed or Washington but the successful candidate must be willing to travel and spend time at other locations, as necessitated by the role.
- Degree-level qualification or comparable experience, with demonstrable Project Management delivery experience, ideally from a comparable industry (Defence).
- Formal training in Project Management (accredited by APM, PMI or PRINCE), with knowledge of scheduling and risk software tools (e.g. MS Project & Predict!), as well as experience of SAP
- Proven track record of managing projects to time, cost and quality.
- Strong customer and supplier relationship management both internal and external.
- Leadership qualities including the ability to form project teams.
- Senior stakeholder management skills.
- Strong team working across functional and company boundaries.
- Previous working experience with European customers
- German Language skills
Recognising the RESTRICTED nature of the work, suitable candidates will be SC cleared or eligible for this level of clearance.