Manchester, Greater Manchester
£48000.00 - £54000.00 per annum + benefits
4 months ago
The Senior Planning Manager (HS2) is accountable for ensuring that Highways England's interests are properly considered during the planning of Phases 2A (West Midlands to Crewe) and 2B (Crewe to Manchester / West Midlands to Leeds) of the HS2 project. Responsibilities include the planning of Highways England's response to the multiple interfaces between the Strategic Road Network and the HS2 Phase 2 route.
The job exists as a result of the Government's commitment to deliver new high-speed railway capacity in 3 phases over the next 17 years which will have impacts on the performance of the SRN during construction as well as drive economic growth upon completion. Externally, the role holder will promote the Company's position and build reputation through visible and effective partnerships with HS2 Limited, DfT, transport and planning authorities and other affected, key strategic stakeholders at a senior level.
Internally it will lead effective engagement with HS2 to assess and mitigate the impact of HS2's designs for Phase 2 of HS2, convening specialist expertise from across the company to assess the impacts on the SRN, influence the design and propose mitigations where these are required. The role holder will also lead work to identify any constraints that the HS2 project puts on growth to the SRN and recommend mitigations, which a board will approve.
The role holder will also:
* Provide the HS2 Phase 1 team in Major Projects with visibility of the Phase 2A and 2B proposals so that it can work with the Major Projects and Operations teams to plan and
* Work together to ensure common governance and reporting arrangements and to ensure that the Company deals consistently with HS2 Limited for all phases of its project.
1. Develop and maintain visible and effective partnerships with senior staff and key strategic stakeholders by setting the Company's position on the management of consequences arising from the construction of HS2 interfaces with the Strategic Road Network (SRN)
2. Lead engagement with HS2 Ltd management to identify and agree collaborative delivery solutions that meet the Company's Licence obligations and which secure best value and mitigate any impacts on the Company's Key Performance Indicators
3. Establish and run suitable governance to oversee and take decisions on the Company's position on Phase 2 of the HS2 project, escalating risks and issues through existing company governance and (if required) to the Executive committee and Chief Executive
4. Manage and develop resources across organisational functions, ensuring knowledge and competence is maintained to deliver business objectives and those legislated by the HS2 Acts of Parliament.
5. Plan and manage a programme of work to evaluate HS2 Ltd proposals and provides advice, guidance and any instruction required so that Departmental aims and Company performance targets are achieved.
6. Drive effective network impact assessment to inform decisive action and safeguard operational efficiency of the network during and after the construction of HS2.
7. Enable informed business and tactical decision making and performance improvement through defining and commissioning services from specialist resources within Highways England to achieve efficient collection and effective analysis of data and intelligence to identify and inform stakeholders of impacts of HS2 construction on Highways England's performance.
People management responsibilities
Types of jobs managed by Job Holder No of Staff Direct/Indirect
Network Analyst and Traffic and Transportation Planning Managers in S&P Chief Analysts Unit
Budget management responsibilities
* £200K budget in 2018/19 for technical consultancy
Key contacts/relationships/stakeholders managed
* Network Planning Divisional Director
* Head of Strategic Projects
* Senior stakeholders (DfT, ORR and Transport Focus)
Business Knowledge and Experience
* Experience within an infrastructure project environment, not only delivering outcomes but evidencing the ability to have a strategic approach and understanding
* Evidence of partnership working with a collaborative approach
* A civil engineering, construction management, transportation or planning background
* Ideally knowledge of HS2 project and legislative background both in terms of passed legislation but also Hybrid Bill parliamentary processes for Phases 2A and 2B of the HS2 project
Functional / Technical Skills
* People management skills and experience
* Strong analytical and decision making skills
* Strong communicator/influencer
* Ideally some knowledge of Investment Decision Making and Benefits Realisation
* Ability to apply asset and programme management principles
Values and Behaviours
Embrace the organisation's values and model associated behaviours:
* Safety: Keep ourselves and others safe, above all else
* Passion: Deliver with energy and pace, care about what we do, continuously improve and innovate, provide great service in everything we do
* Integrity: Open, honest and professional, respect and value the contribution others make, do what we say, always do the right thing
* Teamwork: Work together effectively to achieve our goals, work efficiently and flexibly, listen to others and communicate clearly
* Ownership: Take accountability, learn from failure and celebrate success, agree stretching goals and delivering them, maintain focus on our imperatives
Interested? Call 01617071516 or call 01617071516 for more info