Our client has an opportunity for an experienced Senior Network Engineer within the UK Information Technology function. The function is responsible for the delivery of IT services to all UK based divisions to successfully enable our expanding business and assure operational delivery of critical functions and services that are reliant on all aspects of technology. The Role is primarily responsible for the design, support, and maintenance of their network estate. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing expertise and input to the design and operation of Raytheon UK's LAN/WAN infrastructure.
Summary of Role
- Supports the design, installation, maintenance, administration, and support of their UK networks in a complex multi-protocol LAN/WAN environment.
- Performs any and all activities associated with the network infrastructure and telecommunications services. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to switches, routers, gateways, VPNs, firewall, Internet connectivity, VoIP, wireless and appropriate management tools.
- Responsible for technical network hardware/software, cabling, bandwidth engineering, configuration planning, administration, and support of data and voice communications networks.
- Carries out preventative maintenance and systems monitoring as defined by operating standards. Implementing new initiatives and future changes in service delivery, specifically related to corporate priority projects.
- Identifies utilisation patterns and their effect on operation/system availability and performance expectations, Investigates, recommends and installs enhancements and operating procedures that optimise network availability. Ensures timely user notification of maintenance requirements and effects on system availability.
- Responsible for implementing, operating and supporting scalable network solutions.
- Routinely review, analyse and recommend network improvements to ensure that the network can scale to meet application, user and service needs.
- Monitor network operations and traffic patterns and propose maintenance to optimize network performance and assure network security in a high availability environment.
- Work with external providers to report, troubleshoot, and resolve network related issues.
- Enforce and execute user policies and procedures regarding the use of network resources.
- Provide on-call support.
- Completion, review and maintenance of documentation supporting all aspects of network infrastructure (end to end).
- Ensure all network configuration items have suitable documented support and maintenance agreements and arrangements in place to underpin their operation.
- Establish relationships with third party suppliers and support organisations to ensure that all aspects of the service are supported effectively and efficiently.
- Identify and manage risks pertaining to your area(s) of responsibility, propose solutions to de risk potential issues, minimising impact or degradation to business operations.
- Ensure adherence to and improvement of processes and procedures relating to analysis, design, development, implementation, configuration and full life cycle management.
- Maintains and manages network and security configuration items through proper tools and procedures.
- Ensure works are completed in line with all relevant Health and Safety policies and guidelines.
Demonstrable Skills and Levels - SFIA Foundation Definitions
- Autonomy - Works under general direction within a clear framework of accountability. Exercises substantial personal responsibility and autonomy. Plans own work to meet given objectives and processes.
- Influence - Influences customers, suppliers and partners at account level. May have some responsibility for the work of others and for the allocation of resources. Participates in external activities related to own specialism. Makes decisions which influence the success of projects and team objectives.
- Complexity - Work includes a broad range of complex technical or professional activities, in a variety of contexts. Investigates, defines and resolves complex issues.
- Business Skills - Selects appropriately from applicable standards, methods, tools and applications. Communicates fluently, orally and in writing, and can present complex information to both technical and non-technical audiences. Facilitates collaboration between stakeholders who share common objectives. Plans, schedules and monitors work to meet time and quality targets. Rapidly absorbs new information and applies it effectively. Maintains an awareness of developing technologies and their application and takes some responsibility for driving own development.
Candidate Requirements Essential
- Considerable indepth knowledge of network systems, including design, troubleshooting, maintenance and operations.
- Direct experience in building scalable and highly available distributed networks.
- Experience problem solving and troubleshooting complex, network security systems.
- Internal Cisco Routing and Switching - CISCO IOS and NX-OS knowledge is required
- Demonstrated knowledge of firewall and Intrusion Detection Systems.
- Hands on knowledge of VoIP, DNS, IPAM, VPN, IPSec, BGP & OSPF routing, load balancers, optimisers and proxies.
- Strong familiarity with network monitoring and management tools.
- Experience problem solving and troubleshooting complex, distributed network systems.
- Knowledge and solid understanding of industry best practices.
- Ability to learn complex systems and business processes and define requirements for solutions.
- Demonstrates clarity of thinking to work through limited information and vague problem definitions.
- Able to work well with global teams, including time-zone flexibility.
- Excellent communication skills - written, verbal, presentation and influencing.
- SC cleared or the ability to become SC cleared.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Engineering, Science, or Mathematics, although significant experience and track record with tertiary qualifications is acceptable.
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
- Prior experience of defence or highly regulated technical industry.
- Cisco CCIE qualification
- Other professional certifications: CISSP, CEH, Brocade Fibre Channel switching,
- Experience working with enterprise load balancer technologies such as Netscaler or F5
- Training and knowledge of Health and Safety risk assessments, method statements and safe working practices.