Up to £0.00 per annum
6 months ago
Senior Mechanical Engineer required on a contract basis to work for our nuclear client based on their site in Winfrith, Dorset.
Purpose of Role - To support the SGHWR Decommissioning Project, this includes the design, construction and operation of remote handling facilities to remove and segment the irradiated reactor core and process and package resulting radioactive wastes.
1. To act as the technical lead to manage and oversee specific areas of design, manufacture, procurement, installation, testing and commissioning of plant and equipment in support of SGHWR Decommissioning.
2. To act as the Commissioning Lead to manage and coordinate all testing, setting to work, and commissioning works in support of SGHWR Decommissioning.
3. To provide general mechanical engineering advice and support to other areas of the SGHWR Decommissioning Project and/or other Company projects.
Safety, Environment & Security
* Maintain your knowledge of the relevant local and Company management systems.
* Actively monitor and reinforce safety behaviours.
* Set out controls to ensure the safe delivery of tasks and ensure compliance with the local and Company Management System.
* Establish a safe operational culture and provide safety, security & environmental leadership
* Maintain your own safe & secure workplace, identifying safety, environmental and information security risks and hazards then apply STAR and report unusual occurrences
* Establish the correct work ethic and culture within the team.
* Establish and maintain an appropriate and effective level of stakeholder engagement.
* Set and communicate work standards both within the team and to contractors (if applicable) and stakeholders.
* Monitor and manage the performance of direct reports actively supporting those at risk of underperforming, or with unacceptable levels of absence.
* Manage budgets within agreed limits and delegations. Reporting performance and potential overs or under spends and provide accurate expenditure forecasts.
* Monitor the performance of Contractors and Supplied Workers to ensure they are delivering to quality and plan.
* To act as a Company expert for your engineering discipline to set standards and provide advice.
* To fulfil and/or support the role of Intelligent Customer for projects/areas you lead and for your engineering discipline.
* To fulfil the role of CDM Principal Designer for projects/areas you lead and for your engineering discipline, and/or support this role.
* To hold project specific appointments as required, e.g. NEC Supervisor for DD&B contracts.
* To hold specific safety related appointments related to your engineering discipline, e.g. Senior EC&I Engineer to hold SAP(E) and/or coordinating SAP(E) appointments to lead electrical safety management.
* To lead large engineering design projects and manage associated technical interfaces from concept through to commissioning.
* Manage specific engineering and design teams and co-ordinate with other engineers and engineering support contractors to meet project cost, programme and quality requirements.
* Manage engineering and design during design preparation, verification, and acceptance and subsequent procurement, manufacture, installation and commissioning.
* Prepare procurement specifications for detailed design and/or build contracts and support the management of such contracts.
* Ensure engineering and design work is compliant with Company management processes, current legislation and safety case requirements.
* Provide technical and engineering advice and manage and/or support specific projects and engineering tasks.
* Support the effective deployment of company-wide policies, processes, systems and procedures ensuring that at all time the business remains compliant. This includes, but is not limited to, the need to comply with the company's Equality and Diversity Policy and undertake identified associated learning and development activities.
Education / Qualifications / Training
* Qualified to degree level (or equivalent) in an appropriate engineering discipline.
* Member of a relevant Professional Engineering Institution and hold chartered engineer status.
Experience / Knowledge
* Broad applied engineering background with relevant experience, preferably in nuclear decommissioning or an equivalent highly regulated industry.
* At least 5 years relevant senior level experience of managing large engineering and design projects from concept through to commissioning to meet project time, cost and quality requirements, preferably in nuclear decommissioning and/or related engineering projects.
* Flexibility and willingness to take on a range of tasks and challenges.
* Good IT skills, preferably with familiarity of Microsoft Office.
* Good interpersonal skills.
* Innovative, self-motivated and able to lead and work as part of a team.
This role has been deemed in-scope of IR35