6 months ago
Senior Materials Engineer , Contract, Nuclear , Gloucester
We are recruiting for an experienced Senior Materials Engineer on a contract basis, The post holder will also support the Lead Structural Integrity Engineer in providing technical input, control and oversight of the design (including modifications and concessions) and perform review and acceptance of systems within the Materials scope of the UK ABWR.
- Support the Lead Structural Integrity Engineer, as a core member of the Design Authority Team, in the delivery of business plan related targets and undertake specific roles
- Deliver authoritative advice in relevant technical areas associated with materials including metallurgy, material specification, environmental factors and fabrication processes in nuclear island process plant.
- Provide support on the assessment of materials to the Head of Safety Case and other technical teams within the DA
- Provide support to Topic Leads requiring advice on materials.
- Undertake review and acceptance/adoption activities associated with the Reference Design and subsequent design changes or concessions within the materials scope of works.
- Provide support to the development of the Safety Case for Materials Engineering.
- Provide support to the Safety and Licensing Department in accordance with agreed project programmes to ensure that licensing requirements are met.
- Act as Intelligent Customer for the Materials Engineering support services provided by others (including Responsible Designers for highly specialised design knowledge).
- Understand the research and development on which the material selection and manufacturing processes are based and review the implications of operating experience on the design.
- Facilitate and encourage transfer of knowledge and information from supply chain or SMEs to or within Horizon, in order to assist it in the licensing and permitting process and the establishment of its Intelligent Customer capability.
- Comply with HMS and where appropriate critically evaluate providing feedback for any improvement.
- Ensuring the design is reviewed and accepted/rejected and established under configuration control using the Configuration Change Control process.
- Ensure concessions are reviewed and granted/rejected using the Concessions Management process.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND TRAINING
- The Post Holder will possess a degree or equivalent qualification in a suitable engineering or science subject.
- The Post Holder will be a Chartered Engineer or Scientist, or have the qualifications and experience to achieve that status.
- Demonstrates a track record of success, achievement and learning in career to date, adding value within relevant positions.
- They will have previous experience of the review and acceptance/adoption of relevant design documentation in support of safety case claims in a high hazard industry.
- They will have experience of interfacing with stakeholders on design issues related to material aspects of process plant to achieve agreed business outcomes.
- They will demonstrate significant knowledge, understanding and experience in some or all of the following subjects: metallurgy, material specification and selection, degradation mechanisms, thermal aging and irradiation embrittlement, fabrication including welding processes and heat treatment, and non-destructive examination techniques.
- Good levels of personal impact, credibility and professional maturity.
- Flexibility and mobility to undertake business travel as required.
- Significant experience in complex engineering analysis and / or design projects.
- Nuclear industry experience.
- Practical project delivery skills, with evidence of ensuring delivery to stringent deadlines and standards.