negotiable daily rate
9 days ago
Our client is a leading specialist in secure connectivity and cybersecurity for military, government and critical national infrastructure customers. They are recruiting for a contract Senior Hardware Engineer - Digital Electronics to join their Cyber Security Hardware Engineering department in Newport.
You will be responsible to the Head of Hardware Engineering for executing allocated electronics hardware design work packages within agreed cost, time and quality constraints.
You will be responsible for specifying, performing and documenting electronics hardware design for allocated elements of the product design architecture, by:
- Specifying hardware architectures and solutions to problem statements.
- Performing in-house electronics design for allocated area of responsibility.
- Adequately documenting the design for allocated area of responsibility.
- Controlling and reviewing work of the members of their team (where a team exists)
You will resolve clearly defined problem statements into design solutions typically up to 6 months in duration.
You will need to ensure that:
- Electronics hardware is designed, developed, integrated and tested in accordance with company standards; all supporting documents are produced in accordance with company standards.
- Appropriate processes, tools and methodologies are used to design and deliver allocated electronics hardware development work packages meeting cost, time and quality targets, agreed with the engineering team leader.
- Electronics hardware technical design decisions are made within the context of known practices, established precedents and acquired technical expertise.
- The cost/benefits of design possibilities are understood, enabling appropriate judgement calls to be made.
- Electronics hardware development plans can be estimated in detail, and resource requirements can be allocated against plans.
- The provision of technical guidance to fellow team members in electronics hardware development tools and methodologies.
- Success of both internal and external design reviews and project reviews throughout the development lifecycle.
- The support of the design and development of critical components where decisions have a significant impact on project timescales.
- Customer liaison, by representing the company on project related technical matters at stakeholder meetings.
- Design and development by taking a technical role as a Prime on a critical component where required.
- Career development of both the job holder and their team members (if any), by agreeing challenging and business focussed objectives.
Required skills / Proven ability
The successful applicant will have the following skills and experience:
- Must have an extensive ability in digital design and implementation for data/voice communications equipment or equivalent using high speed microprocessor, memory, FPGA and CPLD components.
- Must have proven capability to design high-speed electronic equipment that is CE compliant with EMC, Safety and RoHS criteria.
- Must have excellent electronics hardware development knowledge.
- Able to carry-out development tasks of up to six months duration with very limited supervision.
- Must be familiar with high speed digital design standards and techniques.
- Must have a good understanding of requirements capture and of work package definition and estimation.
- Must be highly self-motivated, articulate, with good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have good team working skills.
- Schematic capture.
- PCB layout.
- Thermal analysis for electronic circuits.
- Recent use of one or more of OrCAD Capture and/or OrCAD PCB Designer
Due to the sensitive nature of the products all applicants must have worked within the Defence / Military industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining Security Clearance (SC level minimum