Birmingham, West Midlands
£385 - £420 per day
Rail Technical Team
about 1 month ago
Our client are a global engineering, construction and project management company who deliver landmark projects that create long-term progress and economic growth. Their expertise includes Infrastructure, Mining & Metals, Nuclear, Security, Environmental, Oil, Gas & Chemicals in 160 countries on all seven continents. The company and culture are built on over a century of leadership and relentless adherence to values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics and integrity.
Recruiting for a Senior Environmental Manager to support a project in Birmingham who will be responsible for managing, leading and assuring the area environmental assessment work (including associated assessments).
- Lead on the Area Team's environmental assessment requirements and deliverables, working in close association with the rest of the Area Team (particularly the Area Senior Route Engineer).
- Work collaboratively with other technical specialists including engineers, construction experts, architects, property advisors, environmental and sustainability specialists to achieve high quality integrated designs and develop appropriate and cost balanced mitigation strategies and solutions.
- Ensure requirements for environmental consultants are developed in a timely manner, working collaboratively with the Client and Project Integration team
- Provide the key client management interface for consultants appointed to undertake area environmental assessment (including transport and equalities impact assessment) and design in order to input on the environmental and sustainability aspects and ensure compliance with assumptions in relation to design, construction and operation
- Review and critically appraise all area environmental deliverables produced by consultants to ensure compliance with the organisation's technical and sponsor requirements, environmental commitments, environmental law and regulation (including parliamentary requirements) to enable them to be confidently defended before Select Committee.
- Support the central and area management of the area environmental budget to ensure consultant costs are properly forecast, managed and controlled in line with the overall budget and organisational requirements.
- Support the Area Team Manager on internal and external reporting of environmental matters. Ensure full audit trail of key decisions and compliant data management to enable effective petition management, efficient handling of enquiries (including FOI and EIR) and to ensure that statutory requirements are met.
- Manage area environmental input into relevant reports and briefings to Ministers to enable robust decision making.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in a relevant environmental/ built environmental discipline.
Educated to Master's degree level in a relevant subject is desirable but not essential
Chartered membership of a relevant environmental/ built environmental organisation is highly desirable.
Significant experience of leading on environmental assessment (EIA) and design on large or complex infrastructure/ engineering projects.
Experience in project management of complex projects and financial management of projects, including procurement processes.
Proven knowledge of EU and UK environment legislation and current best practice guidance.
Proven ability to manage individuals, consultants and to work across multidisciplinary teams.
Strong numeracy, written and verbal communication skills and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss environmental issues to a range of stakeholders
Strong IT skills and proven working ability to use Office based software, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, coupled with an aptitude towards learning and utilising new software in the office environment (training is provided in the use of the internal document management systems). A good understanding of GIS, SharePoint and eB is also desirable.
Experience of preparing/ reviewing material for and attending public consultations.
Experience of public inquiries (or similar) is desirable.
Experience of working under extremely tight deadlines and in a constantly changing project environment.