Up to £35.00 per hour
11 days ago
Purpose of role:
Carry out technical analyses and investigations involving the design and calculation of ship scantlings or equipment seatings.
Key Technical Skills
* Possesses good knowledge of all aspects within his/her discipline.
* Able to perform analysis using recognised analytical tools and to make sound judgements based on experience.
* Has sufficient breadth of knowledge of warship design and the sound judgement needed to be able make correct trade-off decisions
Key Leadership/People Mgmt Skills:
* Strong commitment and self-motivation.
* Ability to communicate verbally and in writing to management and peers.
* Displays flexibility through response to radical changes
Key Interpersonal/Behavioural Skills:
* Strong interaction and good team player.
* Effective networker.
* Displays flexibility through response to radical changes.
* Researches when digging for information.
Key Mental/Analytical Skills and Challenges:
* Ability to quickly assimilate engineering data and define solutions and opportunities.
* Good problem solver.
* 2 Years' experience in engineering or a defence or related industry
* Understanding of LCM
* Typically degree qualified (not essential) , likely to be in a technology, engineering or science related discipline
* Working towards the requirements for registration as Incorporated Engineer or Chartered Engineer with the Engineering Council. Top 4 Major Tasks and Activities:
* Produce structural design solutions, supported by calculations, for either ship scantling issues or seat designs as required.
* Liaise with the Detail Design community and equipment owners to unblock issues preventing the conclusion of structural design activities
* Prepare Design Sketches of structural solutions as required.
* Peer reviewing of other team members calculations where required.
Additional Key Accountabilities:
* Keep up to date in relevant technical areas, develop skills and capabilities to be able to provide more effective services (seeking and sharing good practice and knowledge to continuously improve practices), and supply technical support and expertise to others as required. Business Unit/Discipline Specific Competencies;
Capability in general structural theory and analysis.
Capable of producing accurate scantling and general structural calculations.
Ability to assess structural drawings.
Ability to produce appropriate design sketches in AutoCAD.
Ability to employ MathCad software to undertake calculations.
Ability to employ STAAD.pro software to undertake spaceframe analysis.
Some experience in the structural design of frigate-type vessels.
Some experience in employing shock loads to a structural design.
Some knowledge of the use of Classification Society rules and processes, preferably Lloyd's Register Naval Ship Rules.
Awareness of shipyard production and fabrication processes and issues with respect to structural design and analysis.
Able and willing to travel within UK on an occasional basis.
Key Outputs/Deliverables: Business Unit
* Structural solutions, calculations, design sketches and drawings supporting design and assessment tasks, specific to own discipline.
* Design and Assessment Studies
* Technical Reports and Specifications
* Presentation material
Describe with whom the role regularly interfaces:
* Engineering Manager Structures
* Principal Engineers
* Engineers and Detail Designers of same / other disciplines