£35.00 - £45.00 per hour
7 months ago
Overall Department Direction
In order to deliver the MoD's submarine and warship programmes, a significant programme of infrastructure investment will be required on the Devonport site. A new 'Major Infrastructure Projects' (MIP) Business Unit is being established to support this.
One of the key scope elements within MIP is re-establishing a defuel capability for out of service submarines. This work comprises of a number of interrelated projects, one of which is the Submarine Defuel Delivery Project (SDDP). The scope of SDDP comprises of the provision of: a 14 Dock Reactor Access House (RAH), a suite of defuelling tools & equipment, a Test & Training Rig (TTR), dockside HVAC and services and a safety justification for the facilities' use.
The MoD has set a target completion date for the project of 2023 and the SDDP team is endeavouring to realise this challenging aspiration.
Main Purpose of Role
The primary purpose of the Senior EC&I Design Engineer is to assist and support the existing Senior EC&I Design Engineer and the Design Manager in the delivery of project scope. This will include the likes of the following
* Power and communications cabling installation.
* Lighting design and installation.
* Earthing and lightning protection integration.
* Complete work packages including the update of documentations and drawings incorporating changes and checking the outputs are aligned and consistent with the design intent. This includes existing interfaces to power, communications and services.
* Process and issue documentation and drawings as coherent packages.
* Maintaining the project registers and checking that the correct versions are available
* Prepare work packages for design review and handover
* Check and maintain lifetime records
* Write reports and close out technical queries and data requests.
* When required assess the existing installation to ensure that it is safe, fit for purpose and in-line with current legislation
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
The candidate must have
* Experience working with existing electrical installations and other disciplines
* A working knowledge of BS7671 wiring regulations
* Have effective writing and presentation skills
* A proven track record in completing work packages in a highly regulated environment.
* The ability to follow an engineering process and maintain accurate records and document/drawing revision control.
* Experience in packaging work for others, monitoring that delegated work would be desirable.
An HNC and significant engineering experience is the minimum requirement. Preferentially, but not mandatory, the candidate will have a degree or equivalent in an engineering related discipline. Preferably Chartered Engineer status and member of relevant institute or significant demonstrable engineering experience and capable of registration with the Engineering Council at CEng level.