Manchester, Greater Manchester
£40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + benefits
about 1 month ago
Morson are working in exclusive partnership with our client Amey Consulting, who are the consultancy arm of the wider Amey business. We are recruiting for a number of exciting opportunities, to work on a number of high profile, key projects within their highways division. Career opportunities are outstanding and a bonus scheme exists for engineers and technicians who achieve EngTech/IEng and CEng as well as best in class support and additional training and development opportunities.
We are looking for an experienced civil engineer with flood risk experience and knowledge of the highways sector.
Amey and Trafford Council are working in partnership to deliver environmental and infrastructure services for Trafford. The new partnership, formed in 2015, delivers highways services, bridges, road safety, street lighting and furniture, drainage and property services. The partnership will maintain and improve nearly 800 km of roads, 17,000 km footways, 150 structures, 30,000 street columns and illuminated signs and 37 parks.
The Trafford Highways Consulting account provides the local highway authority function on behalf of Traffic Council. It comprises approximately 40 engineers, technicians and support staff and is organised into three teams dealing with Traffic, Development Control & Drainage and Highway Maintenance (including highway structures).
The account has a significant forward work programme of projects including:
* Highway structural maintenance schemes
* Highway drainage improvement schemes
* Maintenance and improvement of highway structures
* Integrated transport, public realm and road safety improvement schemes
* Traffic management schemes
* Greater Manchester Mayor's Cycling and Walking Challenge Fund projects
* Highway improvements funded through developer contributions
* Carrington Relief Road
The teams are based in Amey's Tatton House Depot, M23 9LF.
What will this role involve?
You will ensure that good relationships with all external parties are maintained to enhance the reputation of the company and undertake the Flood Risk Management duties which will include managing the risk of flooding from surface water, ground water and ordinary watercourses and acting as a Statutory Consultee to the planning process on sustainable drainage systems.
Key responsibilities are:
* Contribute to the development and maintenance of the Local Flood Risk Management Strategy
* Work collaboratively with a range of internal and external stakeholders including the public, Local Councillors, the Environment Agency, water companies, neighbouring Lead Flood Authorities and other relevant organisations
* Manage the development and implementation of policies, systems and processes in support of the local flood authority role, such as in the areas of:
* a. Flood investigations
* b. Flood Risk assessment and data management
* c. Asset management
* d Sustainable Drainage Systems and the planning process
* e. Land drainage enforcement and consenting
* Manage the effective regulation of Ordinary Watercourse network through land owner liaison, enforcement and consenting activities
* Manage the determination of Planning Applications in relation to applicable sustainable drainage standards and provide strategic advice on the implications of new development on local flood risk issues to the Local Planning Authority
* Support the Principal Engineer to identify and secure funding for flood risk management proposals including studies, maintenance and capital works
* Assist in the preparation and monitoring of the budget for projects including the planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources and finances
* Plan and prioritise own activities to ensure effective utilisation of time
* Undertake technical design work as necessary including the production of electronic drawings using AutoCAD and other related software.
* Resolve problems and issues to support the delivery of projects or design objectives
* Take ownership of and resolve problems by leading the team when required
* Provide technical administrative support including project administration
* Build and maintain excellent relationships with internal and external business partners, customers and clients
* Assist with continuous improvement in the services provided by the team
* Assist less experienced colleagues ensuring compliance with pre-defined standards
* Take ownership of personal development in order to build professional capability
Who are we looking for?
The applicant will need to demonstrate they have the key skills / knowledge in the following areas:
* Demonstrable Knowledge and understanding of the administrative, statutory and legal procedures relating to highway, planning, land drainage and flood risk management including the responsibilities of the Environment Agency, the Water Companies and local Councils.
* Good knowledge of policies and design standards in relation to flood risk management and highway maintenance and the management of assets using modern techniques.
* Excellent understanding, experience and use of highway drainage and flood risk mapping.
* Knowledge of emergency planning and managing both the emergency and recovery phases of a flooding event.
* Significant experience in working with internal/external bodies
* Client focused approach to service delivery
* Knowledge of relevant design standards including the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges
* Awareness of contract documents and procedures including the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works
* Knowledge and experience of CDM regulations and other health and safety legislation
* Play a supporting role to the Principal Engineer
* Ability to work to tight timescales and budgets
* Team player
* Good oral and written communication skills
* Flexible and enthusiastic in approach
* Developing and motivating self and others
* Well organised
* High level of computer literacy including competency in the use of AutoCAD, Geographical information systems and Microsoft Office
* Building excellent customer and client relationships
Interested? Please contact Ben Pascall at Morson on 0161 707 1516 or email