Up to £0.00 per annum
3 months ago
The role is a temporary post within the Defra Group Commercial structure and will provide commercial and procurement support to the EA Future Funding requirements. Defra group Commercial are looking to appoint Senior Category Officers to
* Support and lead the delivery of projects, procurements and contract / supplier management roles across an allocated customer category
* Support the management and development of key supplier relationships to deliver exceptional performance in cost, service and quality
* Build and sustain effective relationships with category customers
* Provide day to day advice on commercial issues and governance across the relevant category, taking full account of risk, exploiting commercial opportunities and maximising value of money and savings.
Defra Group Commercial (DGC) is part of Defra, the central Government Department responsible for growing the rural economy improving the environment and safeguarding animal and plant health. DGC is responsible for providing a commercial service to organisations within the Defra Network.
This post requires the post-holder to assist customers to deliver value effectively and innovatively so that the customer organisation outcomes and objectives can be met alongside the fulfilment of key corporate targets.
The post holder will be expected to engage with colleagues across the country, building the Commercial network both internally and through the wider Defra network and Government Bodies.
The Senior Category Officer will report to a Category Manager (G7). This job description is generic and may apply to all Category Officer posts.
* Lead or participate in delivery of projects, procurements and contract management roles across the full commercial life cycle, at the appropriate level providing functional / specialist input to improve ways of working and business change & efficiency.
* Be responsible for explaining specialist commercial guidance to operational teams in order to influence compliance with Defra policy / legislation / best practice ways of working and contribute to the delivery of business plans.
* Keep up to date on changing legislation / best practice externally, to inform internal priorities and appropriate alignment.
* Build and sustain effective relationships with operational customers to understand issues and provide effective response / steer for operational needs.
* Be responsible for the delivery of contracts such that sustainable impacts and opportunities are identified and managed throughout the commercial lifecycle.
* Mentor and coach others on commercial procedures, practices and techniques equipping them with the knowledge and skills to deliver their work in an effective and efficient manner
* Maximise the efficient and effective use of resources (including electronic sourcing) and people in order to ensure that all activities are completed to time, cost and quality targets.
The post-holder will be accountable for:
* the provision of day to day advice on commercial issues and governance, taking full account of risk, exploiting commercial opportunities and maximising value of money and savings.
* The delivery of more complex procurements, including
o Prepare initial sourcing strategies, and contribute to business plans
o Planning and managing market engagement exercises
o preparing pre tender and tender documents in conjunction with customers
o Run tenders in accordance with Public Contract Regulations 2015 including all requests for information documentation and managing evaluation.
o Preparing recommendations for tender outcome
o Preparing contract management documentation in conjunction with stakeholders
* The use of leading practice commercial tools to develop and implement the commercial strategies
* The management of more complex Contracts including
o Acceptance/signing of the contract including the resolution of assumptions before signing
o Leading the engagement/initial transition plan, including the development of exit/service transfer arrangements
o Engaging and training any customer stakeholders in the contract content, risk assumptions and KPI
o Preparing initial documentation such as risk register, report requirements, innovation report, and advice to supplier on invoice submission etc.
o Supporting contract meetings, and acting as an escalation route for supplier and commercial issues
o Leading negotiations for contract change, and implementing these in accordance with change governance procedures
* The management and development of key supplier relationships to deliver exceptional performance in cost service and quality
* The establishment and maintenance of excellent relationships within customer organisation and wider government with key stakeholders, raising the profile of commercial activity within customer organisations.
The following experience is essential to this post.
* An accomplished Commercial professional with a track record of setting high standards and delivering results in a complex and demanding environment
* Experience at influencing Commercial decisions at an operational level
* A proven manager with experience of leading strategic contract award negotiations and resolving dispute resolutions through negotiation
Although not essential, we would prefer you to be fully qualified MCIPS or IACCM. If this is not applicable then we will be looking for robust evidence of equivalent experience.
Other academic or professional qualifications, such as degree, Prince2, Lean or APM qualifications would be of significant interest as well.