Doncaster, South Yorkshire
Up to £11.05 per hour + Inclusive of holiday pay
25 days ago
Our client one of the UK's largest charities, who maintain 2,000 miles of historic canals, rivers, docks and reservoirs, are looking to recruit a Seasonal Waterway Operative to be based in West Stockwith. This will be a 7-month seasonal contract starting in March till the end of October.
The main duties of the role will be to join existing maintenance teams responsible for the upkeep and conservation of the Canal Network in and around the West Stockwith area. Working with other staff and volunteers, Operatives (Ops) undertake maintenance and repair works, operate assets and providing information to customers, as directed by the Supervisors.
The role is to be based in West Stockwith but will cover the local area so the successful candidate must be flexible regarding working location and willing to travel.
In addition, the successful candidate will be in regular contact with users of the canal network so excellent Customer Service skills are required.
The role will require working any 5 days out of 7 including weekends and split shifts.
- Working outside, carry out maintenance and repair works to the waterway infrastructure, to maximise network availability, or undertaking a dedicated role, for example lock keeping.
- Provide customer service through operation of West Stockwith Lock on the Tidal Trent in a safe and timely manner.
- Working any 5 days out of 7 including split shifts.
- Respond to enquiries to maximise customer satisfaction.
- To protect the natural and historic environment associated with the waterways by ensuring their consideration during all works.
- Provide a first level of response for reactive works to ensure the safety of customers and the availability of the network, participating in an on-call rota as required.
- Work alongside and supervise volunteers, to deliver high quality works, maintaining and building on our high levels of volunteer satisfaction.
- Undertake work in a productive and efficient manner delivering the work to the correct standard and agreed programme.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills: -
- Maths and English GCSE or equivalent.
- Some experience of manual/construction/outdoor work.
- Some experience of customer service.
- Valid driving licence.
- Some experience of working with plant and or equipment.
- Experience of working with or as a volunteer.
A full driving license is required for the position.