Up to £50.00 per hour
5 months ago
Safety Engineer (x2)
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
Duration: 9 months
Rate: £50 per hour LTD
Our client seeks two Safety Engineer's to work within their Submarine Systems division, on site in Barrow.
The successful candidates will have:
1. General knowledge in:
- Implementing safety processes and plans in large complex systems (hardware & software); Developing safety processes; Developing Safety Management Plans (SMPs); Hazard identification and analysis; Qualitative and quantitative analyses; Functional decomposition; Human Factors, operability and maintenance impact on safety; Liaising with engineers and suppliers; Developing ALARP arguments; Developing safety cases.
2. Familiarity in the following safety techniques:
- Functional Hazard Assessment (FHA); Fault Tree Analysis (FTA); Event Tree Analysis (ETA); Failure Modes & Effects Analysis (FMEA); Accident Sequence Modelling; Fault Schedules; Hazard & Operability Analysis (HAZOP); Zonal Hazard Analysis (ZHA).
3. Proven ability in using safety standards and guidance:
- E.g. IEC61508, DO178, DEF-STAN-00-56, ARP-4761; Setting integrity requirements (e.g. SIL, DAL); Providing/ eliciting compliance evidence to standards and requirements; Dealing with Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) equipment; Dealing with Software of Unknown Pedigree (SOUP).
4. Requirements knowledge:
- Developing Safety Functional Requirements (SFRs); Deriving safety requirements on systems, components and testing from safety analyses; Setting Availability, Reliability & Maintainability (ARM) requirements; providing/ eliciting compliance evidence to requirements.
Proven Ability / Key Skills:
- Understanding of submarine systems design, interaction commissioning and operation
- Knowledge of MoD due process requirements for safety documentation and understanding of naval safety management arrangements
- Familiarity with Product Safety techniques and standards (either submarines or wider industry) and Engineering processes (e.g. Life Cycle Management)
- Sound understanding and application of the ALARP principle
- Understanding of Safety Legislation
- Knowledge of Safety Case architecture including the awareness of the prescription and guidance
Due to the sensitive nature of the product all applicants must have worked within the Defence / Military industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining Security Clearance (SC level minimum).