£51.59 - £60.00 per hour
0161 707 1516
2 months ago
Templecombe, Somerset (Work From Home) - 6 month contract - Pay rate £60 p/h Ltd or Umbrella Company / £51.59 PAYE including holiday pay
We are looking for a Safety Engineer to work for our defence client on a complex maritime mine countermeasures product. You shall be nominally based from the Templecombe office, however in practice this role will be predominantly working from home, perhaps with very occasional trips in to Templecombe if required. You will support the Safety and Technical authorities in the execution of tasks and collation of evidence required to justify the product safety argument and timely completion of the safety programme.
Major Tasks and Activities
- To facilitate appropriate hazard /risk identification and analysis, and associated evaluation or management activities
- To generate safety artefacts required to support the product safety argument under guidance from the SSEM and Safety Assurance Manager
- To support Project Design Authorities in achieving compliance with Legislation, Regulations and Standards applicable to the product(s)
- To develop and ensure fundamental product safety requirements are incorporated from an early design phase, and maintained throughout
- Where appropriate, to act as the Product Safety point of contact for the project team, particularly in terms of collation of evidence and deliverables required from the team to support the product safety argument
- To escalate issues to the SSEM or Safety Assurance Manager (SAM) regarding the safety programme for a product
- To provide input from a safety perspective to DDQS Design Reviews and to raise any concerns at the meeting or notify the PSM
- To attend Special Type Test Equipment (STTE) safety inspections and support the generation of STTE forms/reports in accordance with Chorus guidance, and ensure these are appropriately peer reviewed
- To provide safety input to bid activities, and provide guidance as to the safety programme requirements
- To attend Project Safety and Environmental Committees and by default to record minutes and actions, as well as raising any concerns with the PSM or SAM To contribute where possible to the improvement and continual development of the Thales Safety Management System and associated processes, and raise any potential improvements identified with the SAM
- To assist the Work Package Manager in generating reasonable estimates and recording 'actuals' throughout the programme
- To peer review product safety-related artefacts generated by others in the team
- To report on the status of safety programmes
- When delegated by the Safety Assurance Manager, approve Interim Certificates of Design on behalf of Safety Authority.
- In depth knowledge of Product Safety Management Processes, and the implementation and delivery of Product and System Safety Engineering activities within the Defence Industry
- Knowledgeable with respect to Product Safety related Legislation, Regulation and Standards
- Proven ability of working to IEC 61508
- Practiced in the use of hazard and risk identification, assessment and management techniques
- Knowledge of lifecycle management, its requirements and application
- Ability to accurately cost/estimate tasks
- Proven ability in large platform safety integration and/or systems of systems safety concepts
- Knowledge of working to standards such as DEF Stan 00-056, 00-055, 00-051, JSPs, and DSA02 or similar is highly desirable.
- Developing the strategy for evidence based arguments
- Good problem solving skills
- Good data-gathering and analysis skills
- Good presentation and report writing skills
- Shows flexibility in thinking and approach to meet the context
- Ability to build positive and effective relationships with all stakeholders, including team members and customers
- Able to facilitate decision-making and conflict resolution
- Good communication and influencing skills
- Shows drive, initiative and commitment
- Ability to operate across all levels of the enterprise, both technically and personally
This role is likely to operate Inside IR35 from April 2021 onwards.
Please note, due to the sensitive nature of the project involved all candidates must be sole British nationals and capable of gaining a UK MOD Security Clearance (SC level). However, if you are not currently SC cleared you will be able to start on a Baseline security clearance whilst the SC application is underway.
There may be a requirement for some travel to other UK sites or internationally in the future.