Belfast, County Antrim
£50 - £56 per hour
about 2 months ago
Safety and Environmental Engineer
Duration: 9 months
Rate: Up to £56 per hour LTD
The role plans and manages the safety related activities within bids and projects to ensure the end product risk has been reduced so far as is reasonably practicable. It will also lead and conduct the hazard analysis activities and development of safety & environmental requirements for AOW products throughout their lifecycle. It will provide direction to the design teams for the implementation of requirements and design features to provide the necessary safety assurance and safety argument.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- To assume responsibility for identification and delivery of all aspects of the S&EM design activities as part of an Integrated Project Team in accordance with the AOW safety management system.
- To carry out hazard analysis, risk evaluation and specify weapon system S&E requirements in the areas of performance, engineering features, interfacing and testing requirements.
- Clearly communicate a reasoned argument to all disciplines across the project team for the inclusion of S&E measures in order to ensure adherence to all the derived S&EM requirements.
- To maintain and ensure compliance to S&EM processes and procedures.
- To have a good understanding of all relevant S&E standards and regulations and ensure they are followed in AOW.
- Planning and estimating the cost of project S&EM engineering activities.
- To prepare hazard analysis reports, safety cases as well as development of valid safety arguments.
Proven Ability / Key Skills
- Extensive proven ability in a safety engineering role within a defence engineering environment
- Ability to lead safety engineering related activities
- Good working knowledge of product safety standards and legislation
- Broad knowledge of product safety engineering and environmental management practices
- Ability to define and implement sound engineering design principles and methodology
- Ability to carry out detailed safety analysis, risk evaluation and safety case construction using best practice approach
- Ability to carry out detailed environmental analysis, impact and risk evaluation
- The ability to present a reasoned argument for the inclusion of safety risk mitigation measures in a design
- The ability to weigh up all available evidence and explore a designer's rationale without entering into conflict situations
- To be able to address project solutions from a whole life systems engineering viewpoint
- Direct involvement with customer agencies in a safety related role
- Knowledge of working within an airworthiness environment
Due to the sensitive nature of the product all applicants must have worked within the Defence / Military industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining Security Clearance (SC level minimum).