3 months ago
Safety and Environmental Engineer
Location: Winfrith, near Dorchester
Duration: 6 months
Our client is seeking a Safety and Environmental Engineer to create and maintain Safety and Environmental Cases for their Products, Systems and Services (PSS) to ensure that all residual risks to personnel and the environment are deemed acceptably safe and environmentally compliant.
- Managing and reporting of safety and environmental tasks.
- Support bidding activity by providing estimated costs and timescales for safety and environmental activities.
- Implementing and maintaining the Safety Engineering policy and process to ensure it meets the needs of our client and its customers and complies with relevant legislation.
- Working with Product Managers, System Design Authorities, Technical Leads, Integrated Logistic Support (ILS) Managers and the other Safety & Environmental Engineer to ensure that safety and environmental factors are considered for all PSS at every stage in the product lifecycle and that products are developed with safety and the environment as the highest priority.
- Work with system experts to uncover potential system safety and environmental issues.
- Monitoring of sub-contractor delivery against requirements and statement of work.
Proven Ability / Key Skills
- Up to date with safety and environmental legislation, best practice, tools and techniques.
- Proven ability of the production of Safety and Environmental Cases in accordance with Defence Standard 00-055 and Defence Standard 00-056 or equivalent, and in accordance with the Acquisition Safety and Environmental Management System (ASEMS), Project Oriented Safety Management System (POSMS) and Project Oriented Environmental Management System (POEMS).
- Ability to undertake Hazard Analysis including Hazard and Operability Study (HAZOPS), Structured What-If Technique (SWIFT), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Event Tree Analysis (ETA), Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA), and Goal Structure Notation.
- Hazard management and hazard log tools knowledge.
- Knowledge and use of Safety Databases (E-Cassandra).
- Ability to undertake Environmental Impact Screening and Scoping (EISS) studies, Environmental Features Matrix (EFM) and the Environmental Impact Management (EIM).
- Software and data safety analysis skills including Safety Integrity Levels in accordance with IEC 61508 or equivalent.
- Knowledge of Data Integrity.
- Ability to carry out technical reviews of safety and environmental output produced by other members of the team or by subcontractors.
- Manage the safety and environmental work packages across a number of projects to ensure the safety and environmental deliverables are delivered to time, budget and cost.
- Awareness of reliability engineering.
- Knowledge of facilitating safety and environmental meetings.
- Ability to maintain regular contact with clients in order to develop good working relationships.
- Full proficiency in the use of MS Office toolset.
Due to the sensitive nature of the product all applicants must have worked within the Defence / Military industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining Security Clearance (SC level minimum).