£30.00 - £37.00 per hour
7 months ago
Safety Support Engineer
Contract 12 Months
Rate: £30.00 - £37.00 P/H
Our client provides safety and environmental engineering management services for surface ships, submarine and commercial projects but excluding those with a nuclear implication.
- Provide professional safety and environmental engineering support to surface ship, submarine and commercial projects;
- Provide safety and environmental case input to non-conformances and design changes for specified systems;
- Support other members of SEG in developing non-nuclear safety and environmental assessments or cases;
- Plan and control of work to time, cost and quality;
- Provide expertise and support in own engineering specialisation to other members of the safety team;
- Assist in the production of and eventually own and control safety and environmental cases.
The Safety Support Engineer is required to have an extensive engineering background in a relevant discipline and proven ability of safety and environmental assessment/management processes that is specifically directed towards systems or product safety and environmental assessment (as opposed to health and safety management).
Key Technical Skills and Proven Ability:
- Extensive operating background in UK submarines, Cat A or B NSRP watchkeeper;
- Proven ability of working with MOD processes and publications, in particular: POSMS, POEMS, DSA01 & 02, JSP 430, JSP 418 & Def Stan 00-56;
- Authoring of Technical Reports;
- Chairmanship and recording of Technical meetings;
- Proven ability of constructing a safety argument in accordance with the First Sea Lord's Safety Argument, Goal Structured Notation, Claims/Argument/Evidence etc.
- Proven ability of facilitating/undertaking Hazard Identification and Assessment exercises.
- Proven ability in multidisciplinary engineering environment.
Key Leadership/Management Skills
- Good people management skills;
- Good team player but able to plan and work alone;
- Prepared and able to make decisions in own sphere of responsibility.
Key Interpersonal and Behavioural Skills
- Displays flexibility, enthusiasm, drive and commitment;
- Professional in all actions;
- Good influencing skills and customer focus;
- Committed to ensuring design safety and prepared to challenge output when required;
- Desire to learn new skills in support of role;
- Category A or B submarine NSRP watchkeeping certificate
- Ideally degree qualified but HND/HNC level qualification in an engineering discipline with extensive proven ability in relevant field will be considered;
- Good presentational, written, analytical and IT skills;
- Preferably already hold the Defence Maritime Regulator's (DMR) Ship Safety & Environmental Management Training (SEMT) or Ship Safety Management Office (SSMO) Certification (training will be arranged if required);
- Knowledge and proven ability of conventional non-nuclear safety engineering in accordance with Def Stan 0056 (Safety Management for Defence Systems), DSA01.1 Defence Policy for Health, Safety and Environmental Protection, DSA02-DMR - MOD Shipping Regulations for Safety and Environmental Protection, JSP 430 (MoD Ship Safety Manual) and JSP 418 MOD Corporate Environmental Protection Manual;
- Ideally you will be a member of a relevant institution (e.g. IMechE, RINA, IET, SARS etc.) and hold Chartered or Incorporated status (or be working towards);
- Knowledge of environmental issues & legislation would be an advantage.