RF TEST EXPERT ENGINEER
The successful RF Test Expert Engineer will join the Telecoms Test Systems engineering team and report to the Head of Assembly Integration & Test (AIT) Test Systems. The team is responsible for designing, validating and supporting RF test systems used during satellite test campaigns. RF knowledge and expertise is paramount for this role.
AT THE COAL FACE TASKS / RESPONSIBILITIES
- RF lead of a Test Systems Engineering team assigned to develop RF test systems for telecom payload projects.
- Liaise with the payload Systems Engineering team to define payload RF test strategy and translate customer requirements into work packages to enable RF Test System Engineers to develop RF measurements.
- Support design reviews of deliverables to project and support project level gate reviews including PDR, CDR, TRR and TRB.
- Define and assist in development of RF measurements from customer requirements.
- Provide mathematical analysis to define and document measurement uncertainty.
- Produce hardware specifications from requirements to support make or buy decisions.
- Interface with RF test equipment suppliers to define hardware and stay up-to-date with developments in the industry
- Define test system RF verification/validation plans and approve results.
- Produce reports and documentation to support gate reviews and product compliance.
- Support test system deployment during test campaigns, working hands-on and closely with other teams in a cleanroom environment to resolve technical issues.
- Produce technical reports to enable closure of NCRs raised during product testing.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS / PROVEN ABILITY
- A deep technical knowledge of telecommunication satellite architecture and RF hardware used on analogue and digitally processed payloads, including receivers, converters, amplifiers, DSPs, waveguides and antennas etc.
- Solid and proven theoretical RF knowledge and practical hands on ability in the design and implementation of hardware & software for test systems.
- Detailed knowledge of RF test methods typically used within the satellite industry including BER, EVM and NPR measurements.
- Knowledge of modulation and coding schemes.
- Extensive knowledge and seasoned in using RF/Microwave test instrumentation: Network Analysers, Spectrum Analysers, Power Meters, Signal Generators / Arbitrary Waveform Generators.
- Team player able to integrate easily and quickly into existing AIT teams.
DESIRABLE / NICE TO HAVE SKILLS
- Previously developed LabVIEW software in the RF Test and Measurement field.
- Knowledge of other software tools and languages (XML, Subversion SVN, MATLAB)
- Knowledge of product compliance including the CE Marking process
ADDITIONAL SECURITY INFORMATION: WE SEEK AN RF TEST EXPERT WHO HAS WORKED IN A MILITARY / DEFENCE ENVIRONMENT / INDUSTRY WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS OR WHO IS CAPABLE OF OBTAINING SECURITY CLEARANCE (SC LEVEL MINIMUM)