22 days ago
Lead the assessment of claims for revenue loss made against Network Rail by train operators and negotiate alongside Regional and Route teams to settle such claims.
1. Lead the analysis of claims for loss of fares revenue made against Network Rail by train operators, by working jointly with Regional and Route Finance Directors and customer relationship managers to decide on the best commercial strategy in each case.
2. Negotiate all revenue claims with train operators as Network Rail's claims expert, alongside Regional and Route teams in order to make expert recommendations on behalf of Network Rail, including representing NR if claims proceed to adjudication.
3. Responsible for developing the evidential basis for changes to the contractual and regulatory framework for revenue compensation and engage with TOCs, ORR and DfT to develop consensus on the evidence.
4. Provide expert advice to Regional and Route teams and other internal stakeholders as to whether Network Rail should, where contractually permitted, re-open compensation payments made for Restrictions of Use in order to recover payments in excess of operators' actual losses.
5. Provide specialist representation at the Commercial Claims Group, the body formally responsible for countersigning the revenue loss element of claims when required to at CCG and providing challenge to the consistency of approach to claims and any precedential issues across routes/regions.
6. Develop and establish Network Rail's internal guidance on the assessment of revenue loss claims in Network Rail's commercial manual, to support TOCs and NR customer managers to provide adequate evidence for claims.
7. Develop an evidence base to support future policy development and engagement to support regulatory change in future control periods.
8. Manage other members of the Economic Analysis team and/or external consultants, as required, in carrying out the analysis of claims.
Your experience will include:
- Chartered as a transport planning professional, accountant, or able to demonstrate equivalent competence.
- Numerate degree or equivalent in relevant subject, or relevant experience.
- Substantial complex problem-solving experience, including decision making and analytical skills in ambiguous circumstances.
- Experience of working in a commercial rail environment, demonstrating expertise in train operators.
- Practical knowledge of rail revenue management.
- Knowledge of rail industry commercial arrangements especially track access agreements.
- Ability to explain complex issues to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience of negotiation and working in a commercial context, up to, and including, board level.
- Ability to manage demands from multiple customers and stakeholders.
- Demonstratable expertise and knowledge of rail industry demand and revenue data.
- Practical experience of analysing and forecasting rail demand, and knowledge of the relevant theoretical frameworks.
- Experience of working in a dispute resolution/legal environment.
- Experience of working in a regulatory environment.
- Experience of managing people.