7 months ago
Purpose of job
This role provides independent advice and assurance to UCP to confirm that radiological safety control measures are functioning and being adhered in line with regulatory requirements .
- Undertake assurance / audit surface contamination and radiation dose rate monitoring surveys as specified by the UCP RPA to ensure that radiation protection control measures are functioning.
- Under the supervision of the UCP RPA, provides advice on radiation safety, barrier techniques and contamination control.
- Oversees the specification, repair, maintenance, calibration and functional testing of radiological monitoring instruments.
- Acts as a Radiation Protection Supervisor for UCP's sealed sources. Carries out leak testing of UCP's sealed radioactive sources and contributes to maintaining source accountancy requirements.
- Develops and delivers training and competency assessments for operational monitoring and radiation protection.
- Acts as a mentor to operations and engineering technicians in the area of operational monitoring.
- Advises on radiation safety and undertakes audits of compliance with radiation safety procedures.
- Assists in the preparation of operational monitoring procedures.
- Acts as a deputy of the Approved Dosimetry Service.
- Maintains UCP's Monitoring Computer Database used to record survey, instrumentation and radioactive source data etc, forming the basis of the legal record.
- Investigates events with radiological implications as directed by the Head of SHEQ.
- Experience as an operational health physics monitor and radiation safety adviser
- Minimum of 5 GCSE's at Grade C or above to include Maths, English and Physics
- Vocational training in radiation monitoring e.g NVQ or City and Guilds or equivalent
- Train the trainer certificate or equivalent