3 months ago
This role provides independent advice and assurance to UCP to confirm that radiological safety control measures are functioning and being adhered in line with regulatory requirements.
- Undertake assurance / audit surface contamination and radiation dose rate monitoring surveys as specified by the UCP RPA to ensure that radiation protection control measures are functioning.
- Under the supervision of the UCP RPA, provides advice on radiation safety and contamination control.
- Provides assistance to ensure the repair, maintenance, calibration and functional testing of radiological monitoring instruments is carried out to the schedule.
- Acts as a Radiation Protection Supervisor for UCP's sealed sources. Carries out leak testing of UCP's sealed radioactive sources and contributes to maintaining source accountancy requirements.
- Develops and delivers training and competency assessments for operational monitoring and radiation protection.
- Acts as a mentor to operations and engineering technicians in the area of operational monitoring.
- Advises on radiation safety and undertakes audits of compliance with radiation safety procedures.
- Assists in the preparation of operational monitoring procedures.
- Investigates events with radiological implications as directed by the Head of SHEQ.
- Experience as an operational health physics surveyor
- Experience of delivering training in operational monitoring
- Technical expertise to use, specify, repair, maintain and calibrate radiological instruments.
- Knowledge of radiation protection principles and practices
- Technical expertise and interpersonal skills to be able to train and mentor others in radiological monitoring practices
- Working knowledge of the Ionising Radiations Regulations
- The ability to explain complicated concepts in simple terms
- Ability to work on own initiative and programme own work
- Minimum of 5 GCSE's at Grade C or above to include Maths, English and Physics
- Vocational training in radiation monitoring e.g NVQ or City and Guilds or equivalent
- Train the trainer certificate or equivalent