West End, London
3 months ago
Radiation Protection Advisor , Permanent , London
An excellent opportunity to join this growing New Build project in London, this position will be reporting to the Senior HSEQ Manager.
Independently responsible for the following work:
* Ensure that radiation safety regulations are observed and develop the roadmap on the governance of radiation protection is appropriately addressed over the whole lifecycle of BRB project
* Draw up, implement and update radiation protection policies and procedures as BRB project evolves through different phases
* Monitor and maintain records of radiological and environmental conditions
* Develop and review radiation protection systems and inspect their operation
* Liaise with management and the workforce (including plant managers, designers, engineers, accountants and other health and safety professionals) on matters of radiation safety and legislation
* Ensure all staff are fully trained and supervised
* Provide a dosimetry service and measuring radiation, using both basic and complex scientific equipment
* Assess radiation risks in the workplace and advise on the design of plant, equipment and waste disposal to ensure safety
* Ensure all equipment and devices are maintained properly
* Assess the impact of releasing radioactive material on the environment
* Advise on the safe transport of radioactive materials
* Prepare emergency plans and contingency procedures for responding to radiation incidents
* Lead and coordinate enquiries into accidents or incidents
* Visit companies to provide radiation protection consultancy and write reports based on these visits
* Liaise with inspectorate and other bodies
* Identify training needs and lecture and/or train other staff.
* Lead other tasks as directed by the Senior HSEQ manager of director of Infrastructure.
Knowledge, skills and attributes:
To be minimally qualified for this role, a candidate must have:
* A degree of education and working experience in the area of radiation protection
* the ability to apply scientific theory to day-to-day problem solving
* Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex innovation to a range of stakeholders
* the capacity to think clearly in an emergency
* Good team-working skills
* A practical and innovative approach to work
* Experience working within a heavily regulated environment (e.g. HMG, Police, MOD or CNI)
* Fluency in English both oral and writing, Mandarin as a plus.